"An easy day trip from Bobo Dioulasso" Banfora by atufft
Banfora Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 124 photos
We had not found hippos along the Upper Black Volta River in Ghana at the sanctuary outside Wa, but we found plenty of them in the rather small Lake Tengrela, near Banfora. The Volta river currents present a challenge for hippos, who are not really great swimmers, but the lake provides an easy feeding grounds for them. At night, when Hippos feed on land, walking out of the lake is certainly much easier for them than finding a low slope along a river embankment. Naturally, Hippos have been hunted, but at Lake Tengrela they are protected by this preserve.
Feeding into the lake is at least one river, and a small one comes from an outcrop of rocky terrain. It should be mentioned that Northern Ghana and Burkina Faso in general are very flat places, so to find a trail that leads up to a waterfall is quite unusual indeed. Our guide rather proudly led us up and we lunched among the pools and falls carved into the sandstone like rock. These are known as Karfiguela Falls. Not much by world standards, but in this flat dry region of the world, it's quite spectacular.
We took this trip as a day trip from Bobo Dioulasso, which is about an hour away by bus. The town does have a few decent places to eat and stay, but these are quite modest in terms of quality. Many young people do like to stay at the encampments adjacent to the lake however.
- Pros:One of the better places in West Africa for hippo watching
- Cons:Limited infrastructure of restaurants and hotels
- In a nutshell:Banfora is an excellent day trip from Bobo Dioulasso
Besides the fauna, the flora of Banfora is very attactive to tourists. Fortunately, none of the flowers or fruits that I... more travel advice
After watching the hippos at Lake Tengrela, our guide led us over to a trail that went up to a series of cascades known... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Banfora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Banfora-Well Worth a Visit"
- "An easy day trip from Bobo Dioulasso"
- "under construction"
- "Banfora - the fruity region of Burkina Faso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banfora
- Hotels in Banfora
- Transportation in Banfora
- Restaurants in Banfora
- Shopping in Banfora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banfora
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Banfora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banfora
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- Commented on one of lemondrop's Banfora travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trail to the Karfiguela Falls near Banfora"
- updated a Banfora Travel Page "An easy day trip from Bobo Dioulasso"
- Wrote a Review Irresistable Flora in Banfora Tourist Traps
Photos in BanforaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos