"A very pleasant city in Burkina Faso" Top 5 Page for this destination Bobo-Dioulasso by atufft
Bobo-Dioulasso Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 171 photos
Much of Burkina Faso is quite like a desert with little coverage and a lot of heat. However, Bobo is well located as a crossroads in the southwest and has a rather pleasant semi-tropical climate. The cover of trees in the center, near the Grand Marche, and where all the hotels and tourist services are located, allows for considerable comfort even during midday. The traffic of the city is generally quite relaxed and polite for those on foot. At night, we walked without fear for our safety or bothersome hassle.
The mosque is definitely worth a walk around, and across the street is the entrance to the old city, better known as the Kibidwe District. The health and sanitation should be an embarrassment to the government, but apparently families have been living here ever since the Bobo tribes joined together to form this market city. Nightlife in Bobo is quite good in terms of music and restaurants.
Koro, Koumi, and the rural life of Burkina Faso are easy day trips from Bobo. Rent a scooter and a guide and visit what truely makes Burkina Faso so interesting--the lives of the tribal people. We found Burkina Faso to be quite safe and friendly, and not over populated. Tourism isn't as big here as it is in Ghana and Mali, so there's a lot less tourist hustle, and in the country families will be pleasantly surprised to see you arrive. For the day trip to Banfora, it's best to catch the bus to Banfora town, and then rent the scooter there. Most everywhere you drive the scooter in this region, the roads or paths are flat and sandy. On one trip, a small creek will be forded on the way through, but generally driving a scooter outside Bobo Dioulasso is really easy.
- Pros:Great center for day trips into the villages around
- Cons:This isn't Paris
- In a nutshell:Bobo Dioulasso is a necessary stop for Burkina Faso...
We passed the grounds of the new Burkina Faso University, which was still constructing roads and stringing power cables.... more travel advice
My guide drove the scooter off the road near Koumi and onto a bumpy little foot trail that looped through the... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Bobo-Dioulasso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A very pleasant city in Burkina Faso"
- "Arrival In Bobo"
- "Bobo-Dioulasso (Burkina Faso has the best names)"
- "Bobo-Dioulasso - City and Commercial Capital"
- "Bobo-A Pleasant Place to Spend Some Time"
- "Bobo Dioulasso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Hotels in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Transportation in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Nightlife in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Restaurants in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Shopping in Bobo-Dioulasso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bobo-Dioulasso
- 16 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Bobo-Dioulasso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bobo-Dioulasso
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Commented on one of lemondrop's Bobo-Dioulasso travel pages
- Wrote a Review Day Trip to Banfora in Bobo-Dioulasso Things to Do
- updated a Bobo-Dioulasso Travel Page "A very pleasant city in Burkina Faso"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A very pleasant city in Burkina Faso"
Photos in Bobo-DioulassoSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos