"I Fell Sick in Lovely Hamah..." Top 5 Page for this destination Hamah by atufft

Hamah Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 421 photos

Arriving from Aleppo with a temperture of 101F...

My wife ran down stairs and around the corner to the nearest pharmacy to find over-the-counter drugs that would require a prescription in the USA. She found the streets rather empty and worried that a secret policeman may be following her. Fortunately, our highrise hotel had a great view of the Noria park, and beyond the river, the burial ground of 10,000 men, women, and children slaughtered by President Assad's army. Just above that green space on the river is the swanky Apamee Cham Palace Hotel. The next afternoon, after I recovered enough to get on my feet, we walked through the Noria park and around to the museum and Asem Palace. Hamah seemed like a pleasant place to me, but I had to eliminate an excursion to the Crac de Chavalier.

Note: Hamah has once again become a major rebel city, and has been virtually destroyed by the Syrian army. The Museum was looted, and we have no word about the norias...see this link: wikipedia

The groan of the Norias is worth a day

The Norias are wood water wheels that make an mornful moan with each revolution. These irrigation works move water from the river into aqueducts that look very much like the Roman systems built two milleniums ago. The current wheels were mostly built by Arab sultans beginning in the middle ages, and are now protected by the Syrian government for the benefit of tourists. If one is close enough, water splashes a bit off the paddle-like wooden buckets.

Hama has a small museum and palace worth visiting

The small collection of mostly Arabic artifacts is worth about 20 minutes, I suppose, so we spent most of our time browsing around the eroded antiquities in the garden plaza. The folk museum is worth a watch for those not already familiar with Arabic traditions. Since we had lived in Saudi Arabia for two years, these exhibits mainly served to refine our understanding to Syria. The Azem Palace is more interesting as it has some very ornate stone lace windows in Arabic designs. Near here, I found a 14th century toilet still in use, so I rushed back to the hotel. In the morning before sunrise, I shot an overview of the city from the hotel window, and then packed our bags for Damascus.

• Pros:Hamah is peaceful and the Noria's are beautiful
  • Cons:The terrible massacre by President Assad's forces keeps the city in morning
  • In a nutshell:Hamah is a pleasant town and great base for excursions elsewhere...
  • Last visit to Hamah: Apr 1997
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2012

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 2:27 AM

When you are sick if difficult to enjoy well... thanks for these good tips :)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 10:03 PM

A surprisign page of Hamah. Have not heard of this place. Now I have. Ancient toiletry :)

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Two of my three travel companions arrived in Hama with a slight fever as well, although they picked it up the prior day in Krak and Palmyra!!! Nice tips from Hama. I missed a lot in this lovely city.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Many depressed steel/coal towns in PA, but Centralia is more like a benign Chernobyl or Love Canal: man has deliberately removed the clues of his passage after fouling up the place. Nice new member picture!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Hamah has a splendid new museum, it opened in 2003. This is one of my favourite places in Syria - a shame you were too ill to appreciate it. leyle

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 9:59 PM

Yes, Hama was very pleasent to stroll around in. Like you, I also was sick in Hama but I think it was from the food at Qala'at Sal ad Din.

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Hamah