"I Fell Sick in Lovely Hamah..." Top 5 Page for this destination Hamah by atufft
Hamah Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 421 photos
My wife ran down stairs and around the corner to the nearest pharmacy to find over-the-counter drugs that would require a prescription in the USA. She found the streets rather empty and worried that a secret policeman may be following her. Fortunately, our highrise hotel had a great view of the Noria park, and beyond the river, the burial ground of 10,000 men, women, and children slaughtered by President Assad's army. Just above that green space on the river is the swanky Apamee Cham Palace Hotel. The next afternoon, after I recovered enough to get on my feet, we walked through the Noria park and around to the museum and Asem Palace. Hamah seemed like a pleasant place to me, but I had to eliminate an excursion to the Crac de Chavalier.
Note: Hamah has once again become a major rebel city, and has been virtually destroyed by the Syrian army. The Museum was looted, and we have no word about the norias...see this link: wikipedia
The Norias are wood water wheels that make an mornful moan with each revolution. These irrigation works move water from the river into aqueducts that look very much like the Roman systems built two milleniums ago. The current wheels were mostly built by Arab sultans beginning in the middle ages, and are now protected by the Syrian government for the benefit of tourists. If one is close enough, water splashes a bit off the paddle-like wooden buckets.
The small collection of mostly Arabic artifacts is worth about 20 minutes, I suppose, so we spent most of our time browsing around the eroded antiquities in the garden plaza. The folk museum is worth a watch for those not already familiar with Arabic traditions. Since we had lived in Saudi Arabia for two years, these exhibits mainly served to refine our understanding to Syria. The Azem Palace is more interesting as it has some very ornate stone lace windows in Arabic designs. Near here, I found a 14th century toilet still in use, so I rushed back to the hotel. In the morning before sunrise, I shot an overview of the city from the hotel window, and then packed our bags for Damascus.
- Pros:Hamah is peaceful and the Noria's are beautiful
- Cons:The terrible massacre by President Assad's forces keeps the city in morning
- In a nutshell:Hamah is a pleasant town and great base for excursions elsewhere...
We found what appeared to be one of the world's oldest toilets still in use. The Azem Palace has a toilet, for use by... more travel advice
When I browsed a bit to rejog my memory about this place, I recalled that it has two parts; the women's part (Haramlek)... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Hamah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hama - Epiphania - Hamath"
- "sing that old song to me"
- "Hamah - a small town on the Orontes River"
- "I Fell Sick in Lovely Hamah..."
- "Landmark of Hama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamah
- Hotels in Hamah
- Transportation in Hamah
- Nightlife in Hamah
- Restaurants in Hamah
- Shopping in Hamah
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamah
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Hamah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamah
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- updated a Hamah Travel Page "I Fell Sick in Lovely Hamah..."
- Commented on one of triplehelix's Hamah travel pages
- Wrote a Review Toilet in Azem Palace in Hamah Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Azem Palace Museum: The Mosaics"
Photos in HamahSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos