"Historic Mountain Capital of Lempira District" Gracias by atufft
Gracias Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 116 photos
Lempira, for whom the Honduran currency is named, was Lenca tribal leader at the time of Spanish conquest. He fought against, hid from, and was assassinated by the Spanish, and so he retains a martyr status within the Lenca region, but also with Honduras as whole. Gracias was his hometown, although he also fled to La Esperanza, the true modern capital of the Lenca tribe. This is the mythical world the tourist enters into at Gracias.
Gracias was founded by the Spanish (1534), and was for two hundred years a major precious metals mining center, and even became the first capital of the Central American Republic, but Gracias retains today considerable Lenca heritage, and therefore a statue of Lempira stands taller than Morazon in the town's central plaza. So, today the town is a major stop for tourists taking the Lenca trail. There are good hotels and decent restaurants in Gracias.
Gracias is a labyrinth of narrow cobblestone one-way streets which are definitely worth a walk. more travel advice
The Parque Central has the statue of Lempira, and other memorial statues and fountains under an arbor of old tropical... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Gracias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gracias, Lempira"
- "A pleasant place to stay"
- "Historic Mountain Capital of Lempira District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gracias
- Hotels in Gracias
- Transportation in Gracias
- Restaurants in Gracias
- Shopping in Gracias
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gracias
- 12 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Gracias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gracias
Photos in GraciasSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos