Tegucigalpa Things to Do Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Tegucigalpa Things to Do: 19 reviews and 52 photos
Museo Nacional, Tegus, Honduras
Just down from the entrance to Paseo Liquidambar, on the opposite end from the Parque Central, is the Museo Nacional, which was closed when we visited on Christmas Eve, but appeared to promise much both architecturally, and in terms of exhibitions. Downtown within a block or so of the museo are other buildings of architectural and historic interest, such as the National Post Office building, and the Nacional Electrical Company.
El Calvario, Tegus, Honduras
Anchoring Parque Herrera are two buildings of note: El Calvario Church (1747) and the Teatro Nacional El Bonilla.
Statue in Parque Herrera, Tegus
Parque Herrera is a few blocks south of the pedestrian mall, and features Tropical plants, a number of statues, and the old Teatro Nacional and El Calvario Church. The crowd clinging to the small plaza appear somewhat less safe than in the Parque Central, but mostly because of a busy nearby chicken bus terminal.
Parque Central, Morazon Statue, Tegus
Of course, the park has the finest equestrian statue of Francisco Morazon found anywhere in Honduras, which includes a bronze relief of a pivotal revolutionary battle scene. Parque Central, as the gathering place downtown, has a good perspective of the hills around the city.
St. Michael Archangel, in Parque Central, Tegus
The plaza of the old Dolores Church is dirty by comparison to the well-kept Parque Central, which is anchored by St. Michael Archangel (1782). The newer cathedral interior is easier to visit too.
Iglesia Los Dolores - Church of the Sorrows, Tegus
A couple blocks west of the Paseo Liquidambar is the Iglesia Los Dolores - Church of the Sorrows-the mercado central, and a handful of souvenir shops. In the background, a large statue of Jesus Christ, located on a hill in El Picacho National Park, views the city. An inscription on a foundation block dates the church back to 1732, making it among the earliest in Honduras. Pigeons cling to the ornamentation of the church facade, and so I rewarded some boys in the plaza to toss pebbles to get a good photo of birds flying off the facade.
Paseo Liquidambar, Tegus, Honduras
In downtown Tegucigalpa, there's a street closed down to auto traffic and opened for pedestrians. There are plenty of clothing and shoe stores there, and adjacent to this mall and on either end are various museums, churches, and plazas filled with memorial statues. The name of this street turned pedestrian mall is Paseo Liquidambar, which is posted in several places. It's a great place to people watch and is generally safe during the day. Near Parque Central end, there's a colonial building facade that's been saved in an interesting way. This is a developing nation though, so be aware of your surroundings, and don't wear jewelry and clothing that would attract the wrong kind of attention. But, we didn't have any trouble slinging the camera for shots of buildings and the like.
More Reviews (3)
atufft's Related Pages
Tegucigalpa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN COLD IN TEGUCIGALPA"
- "TEGUCIGALPA - CAPITAL OF HONDURAS"
- "The Capital City of Honduras"
- "Capital and Largest City in Honduras"
- "December in Tegucigalpa"
- "Priddylady's new Tegucigalpa page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tegucigalpa
- Hotels in Tegucigalpa
- Transportation in Tegucigalpa
- Restaurants in Tegucigalpa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tegucigalpa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Baliuag Hotels
- Edgewood Hotels
- Lake Innes Hotels
- Al Qasr al `Ayni Hotels
- Scott City
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast'
- Suomenlinna Island & Fortress
- Ile d'Orleans
- Haunted Walks
- Hahndorf Things to Do
- Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Rovaniemi Things to Do
- Ripley's Believe It or Not
- Revolutionary War Haitian Soldiers Monument
- Wissant Things to Do
- Calderias Street
- Famagusta District Things to Do
- Los Tres Ojos - The 3 Eyes National Park
Badges & Stats in Tegucigalpa
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Tegucigalpa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tegucigalpa
Photos in TegucigalpaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Tegucigalpa hotel reviews