"Capital and Largest City in Honduras" Top 5 Page for this destination Tegucigalpa by atufft
Tegucigalpa Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 100 photos
Tegucigalpa, or Tegus as it is commonly referred, has an uncertain etymological origin for its name, although it is most commonly believed to be derived from a word in the Nahuatl language, and was at any rate the name already given to this region at the time the Spanish arrived in the 1500's. Paired with sister city Comayagüela, which is on the other side of the Choluteca River, this urban metropolis fills a surprisingly small mountain valley in central Honduras. Historically, the city was late in development, becoming the Honduran capital in 1880, although it served as the capital of the short lived Central American Republic, before again becoming the capital of Honduras in 1937.
Although the city has all the trappings of uncontrolled growth and sagging infrastructure found in any Central American capital, Tegus is somewhat smaller in population than either San Jose, Costa Rica, or Guatemala City, from my estimation. It is not too difficult to drive into and out of the Historic part of the city, even during an X-mas eve day as we did. We didn't want to hang around too long because there are many other parts of Honduras of greater interest, quite frankly, so we braved our way into the center, walked along the pedestrian mall, then drove out of the city to visit Santa Lucia at sunset, and stay the night in Valle de Angeles.
Wealthy of Tegus trying to get away for the weekend are likely to drive the nacional highway south to the Pacific Coast,... more travel advice
The Centro Comercial is across from Parque Central, within view of the Cathedral steps. Next door is a historic... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Tegucigalpa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN COLD IN TEGUCIGALPA"
- "TEGUCIGALPA - CAPITAL OF HONDURAS"
- "The Capital City of Honduras"
- "Capital and Largest City in Honduras"
- "December in Tegucigalpa"
- "Priddylady's new Tegucigalpa page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tegucigalpa
- Hotels in Tegucigalpa
- Transportation in Tegucigalpa
- Restaurants in Tegucigalpa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tegucigalpa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tegucigalpa
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Tegucigalpa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tegucigalpa
Photos in TegucigalpaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 202 reviews, 759 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 38 reviews, 165 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (77)
Latest Tegucigalpa hotel reviews