"History Rich Eastern End of the Atlantic Highway" Trujillo by atufft
Trujillo Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 84 photos
Being more remote from the Bay Islands and from either San Pedro Sula or Tecucigalpa, Trujillo is a rather neglected and peaceful corner of Honduras. Unlike Moskitia further to the east though, Trujillo does have easy access via the Honduran Atlantic Highway, that is more or less paved all the way. The town didn't come highly recommended by locals we had talked to, but given it's rich history we decided to drive the extra few hours to see just where it was Columbus landed, and to pay tribute to the tomb of American empire builder, William Walker, who was executed by Honduran firing squad.
But, Trujillo is more than simply a buccaneer blasted fortress on a hill. Several opportunities to visit with the Garífuna in relatively remote villages is more natural here than in the touristed western edge of the Honduran coastline. In addition, several coral reefs off the coast provide a rich basis for both snorkeling and seafood restaurants at prices half of what they are in the west.
Getting out to Trujillo from San Pedro Sula isn't likely to be much of a mud bath because the roads are mostly paved.... more travel advice
To get to the beach, one often must walk through the property of a villager. But, once there, the beach is public and... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Trujillo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History Rich Eastern End of the Atlantic Highway"
- "On Garifuna & Gifiti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trujillo
- Hotels in Trujillo
- Transportation in Trujillo
- Nightlife in Trujillo
- Restaurants in Trujillo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trujillo
- 17 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Trujillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trujillo
Photos in TrujilloSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos