"Great Birdwatching and Comfortable Climate" Lago de Yojoa by atufft
Lago de Yojoa Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 40 photos
Lago de Yojoa is a natural lake with Mt Santa Barbara, the second highest in Honduras, as it's scenic back drop. But, having seen spectacularly deep Lago Atitlan and Lago Peten in Guatemala, I frankly wasn't expecting too much excitement from this lake that has agricultural pollution and invasive species eco-system struggles. Guidebooks describe most of the hotels as rundown resorts. But, a stop at John and Marta Chater's El Cortijo Del Lago completely transformed this lake into a very meaningful part of our Honduras adventure. We had arrived in late afternoon at this rambling campy and informal resort, and immediately fell in love with the place. John immediately came from his private quarters, and offered to take us out on the lake to watch the sunset.
Resident at the Chater's property is Robert Gallardo, who had recently moved from Copan. A former Peace Corps Volunteer from California, he never returned and has transformed himself into the foremost field expert on birds in Honduras. John is also an American expatriate from Vermont who has lived in Honduras for 30 years. So, between these two, I was able to get almost completely caught up on the state of affairs in Honduran politics, economic development, and ecology. Lago Yojoa is not without it's problems, but a boat ride on the lake is a very worthwhile part of a trip to Honduras. The rather rainy climate in this upper altitude region is very comfortable, but have the mosquito repellent handy. Don't worry about malaria though, the long term health and vitality of John and Robert are a tribute to it's absence here.
The boat ride provided great photos of the lake around sunset. more travel advice
There are floating masses of vegetation, some of which are imported species now part of the lake ecology, that support a... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Lago de Yojoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Birdwatching and Comfortable Climate"
- "Lago Yojoa"
- "Lago de Yojoa, Cavernas de Tablabe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago de Yojoa
- Hotels in Lago de Yojoa
- Restaurants in Lago de Yojoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago de Yojoa
- 8 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Lago de Yojoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago de Yojoa
Photos in Lago de YojoaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos