"Coban was a Must Stop between Sayaxche and Uspatan" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobán by atufft
Cobán Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 102 photos
Coban was a must stop between Sayaxche and Uspatan. The original plan was to travel from Sayaxche to Languin, but the transport through to Languin in the Mayan Highlands was more or less broken. We couldn't even hitch a ride with some farm workers. While the distance was as the crow flies seemingly close, the actual passage of time by dirt road in the back of such a vehicle was unthinkable. So, we backtracked a bit to Raxruja and picked up a van to Coban. Coban is no great shakes as a tourist town, but it does have some scenic charm, particularly from the top of the Mayan oriented El Calvario.
I kept my ear to the radio listening to the news of the presidential election. Guatemalan politics has been know for violence, yet this election seemed to be one of the most civil contests in the country's history. The government declared that all bus transportation would be free for election day, so many private bus services promptly closed down for a day. This left us in Coban an extra day, so I continued to hike around town shooting more pictures.
We were lucky enough to have good restaurants and pleasant hotel service, which as I now understand it is based in part upon the tourism to local plantations or coffee beans and cardomum. Then, following the delay of one day due to the Guatemalan presidential elections, we boarded an overly crowded "chicken bus" destine for Uspatan and Sacapulcas. As it turned out, Coban offers the shutterbug plenty to do for a couple of days at least.
- Pros:Coban is an authentic Mayan City with few other tourists
- Cons:Not a lot to do
- In a nutshell:Traveling from Sayaxche to Panachel, Coban is a must stop.
I wanted to see not only the ruins of the Peten, most notably Tikal and El Ciebal, but also the Mayan culture of the... more travel advice
The walk up to El Calvario (see my things to do tip on this) presents not only a great panoramic view of the valley... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Cobán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Coffee, Orchid and Cardamom Town"
- "Coban was a Must Stop between Sayaxche and Uspatan"
- "Coban main city of Las Verapaces."
- "Paradise in Central Guatemala"
- "Biotopo Quetzal and Coban"
- "NICE COOL CLIMATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cobán
- Hotels in Cobán
- Transportation in Cobán
- Restaurants in Cobán
- Warnings and Dangers in Cobán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cobán
- 7 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Cobán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobán
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Is Death Valley to Yosemite..."
- Wrote a Review Reaching Coban from the Peten in Cobán Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Reaching Coban from the Peten"
- Commented on one of euzkadi's Cobán travel pages
- updated a Cobán Travel Page "Coban was a Must Stop between Sayaxche and Uspatan"
Photos in CobánSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos