"The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores" Top 5 Page for this destination Flores by atufft
Flores Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 201 photos
The causeway was built before the Spanish arrived by Mayan who found refuge in the cool breezes of Lago Peten Itza. The town has a slightly cosmopolitan aire relative to its working class neighbors, Santa Elena and San Benito, where most of the regions commerce is actually conducted. On Christmas Eve, we arrived at Santa Elena at 8pm, having taken a 5 hour bus ride on a mostly gravel road from Bethel, on the Mexican border. We simply walked our wheeled luggage across the causeway and found a place to stay.
The island is crowded and rises to a hilltop where there's a central plaza. Around the edges of the island pueblo are small hotels and restaurants. On the causeway side of the island is a small port of commercial value, and on the opposite side, one can find small boats for a ride upon Lago Peten.
On the opposite end of the causeway is Santa Elena, the larger less infamous neighboring pueblo where the areas transportation hub, banks, and larger hotels are located. Prior to our visit, only VT member Blatherwick had made any significant contribution about the lovely town of Flores. After my visit in winter, the intreped willy_wonka followed in summer, and then upon my recommendation calcaf38 came through and continued on through to Sayaxche and Coban by public service van as we had.
- Pros:Excellent base for a visit to Tikal
- Cons:Browsing for the right hotel can be difficult during high season
- In a nutshell:Flores is a must see pueblo in the Peten region of Guatemala
In Santa Elena, near the market, there is a minivan stop where passengers can board and wait to depart. When the van is... more travel advice
After crossing the river border at Bethel, a bus departs at about 3pm for Flores and ultimately heads for Guatemala... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Flores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flores, the Island Town on Lake Peten Itza"
- "The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores"
- "A NICE LITTLE PLACE ON AN ISLAND"
- "Flores, gateway to Tikal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flores
- Hotels in Flores
- Transportation in Flores
- Nightlife in Flores
- Restaurants in Flores
- Shopping in Flores
- Warnings and Dangers in Flores
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flores
- 12 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Flores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flores
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- Wrote a Review Mundo Maya International Airport in Flores Transportation
- updated a Flores Travel Page "The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores"
- Commented on one of RAZOR-REN's Flores travel pages
Photos in FloresSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos