"Regional Capitol in the North Mayan Highlands" Huehuetenango by atufft
Huehuetenango Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
On New Year's Day, buses were very hard to find. But, since our vacation time was running as quickly as the last grains of sand in an hour glass, we had to find whatever chicken bus we could to continue from Lago Atitlan through to San Cristobal de Las Casas in just one day. The frosty climate of the American Highway as it climbs into the Mayan Highlands made travel even more difficult. We eventually bargained for a ride in the back of a pickup truck with a host of other vagabonds. The one advantage of this was the opportunity to shoot pictures without the impediment of a windshield or dirty passenger side window. Along the way, we passed pine forests, mountain coffee plantations, hillside corn farms, and mountain pueblos. By HueHuetenango, referred to as HueHue for short, this ride came to an end. Exhausted, we chose lunch over an immediate hop into a taxi that with the others would arrive at the Mexican border within an hour. So, we decided to walk into town and have a look around the streets of Huehue.
the highest range in Central America, Huehue sits in a valley at an altitude of some 6,500 feet (2,000 meters). The residents of Huehuetenango are mostly of Mayan descent, mainly from the ethnic Mam ethnic group, but also from the Chuje, Kanjobal and Jacalteca, and the surrounding 31 political districts are divided largely by ethnic representation. During the Mayan classic period, 250 to 900 AD, the entire region was part of the Mam Kingdom, but later the Quiches pushed the Mams into the immediate vacinity of HueHue itself. Above the city on the banks of a river, the classic period Mam built city, Zaculeu, can be found, but unfortunately, we didn't have time to visit this restored ruin, known for having a ball court in good condition. We did wander the fine old colonial era zocalo where we found a taxi willing to drive us to the Mexican border. We ate lunch at a local restaurant and then left.
From Huehue, the mountains become drier and the passage between them very narrow. In places where the canyons were very narrow indeed, I could see clearly why the Spanish had such difficulty subduing the region. At the Mexican border, formalities were few and we waited just minutes to have our passports stamped. From there, we caught a local van direct for San Cristobal de las Casas, perhaps a couple hours away.
- Pros:Huehuetenango is off the beaten path and very Mayan
- Cons:Accomodations and restaurants are few
- In a nutshell:Huehue does offer a good stop in transit along the American highway
The amount of passenger traffic between Guatemala and Mexico appears to be very little on New Years Day, and so we were... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Huehuetenango Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Regional Capitol in the North Mayan Highlands"
- Create a Huehuetenango Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Huehuetenango
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Huehuetenango?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huehuetenango
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Itinerary suggestions for 4..."
- Wrote a Review Transport from HueHue to the Border in Huehuetenango Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Regional Capitol in the North Mayan Highlands"
- created a Huehuetenango Travel Page "Regional Capitol in the North Mayan Highlands"
Photos in HuehuetenangoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos