"Venezuela's University Town in the Andes" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by atufft
Mérida Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 318 photos
At over 16,000 ft, Pico Bolivar is obviously a mountain of consider height, and so it's stunning to realize that within a gondola's reach of it's top, and about a mile above sea level is a city of some 200,000 people. This capitol of the state of the same name is crammed between two mountain ranges on ledge above an alpine river, and is bisected by two other rivers. The city has a long and proud history of relative productivity in a year-round climate that is significantly cooler than other parts of Venezuela. The University, second oldest and founded in 1785, has a considerable reputation for quality in Venezuela. The most park studded city in Venezuela, Merida maintains 35 parks. Earthquakes and wars of independence have taken the toll on the city, but it cultivates a pleasant, quiet grace with plenty of cultural activities.
Within the mountain valleys surrounding Merida, Venezuela's most productive agriculture thrives. Coffee plantations, sugar cane, flowers, especially the frailejón which grows only in the altiplano areas of Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador and bloom in November and December. Tropical plants, palm trees, citrus, strawberries, orchids, and the Golden Rain tree grow well here. Many of these farms lie along a fertile valley, through which the highway from Caracas threads it's way. There's also Truchaculture, or trout farms that provide a local favorite freshwater fish. However, many farms rise up the slopes, as does the residential housing within Merida itself. As the altitude climbs, so does the fog. In the neighborhoods that rise up, the trees hang with moss and orchids.
Merida has plenty of cultural activities, and shopping is good. The cuisine of Merida is distinctive for having trigo (wheat) arepas, rather than the ubiquitous corn style found else where in Venezuela. Again, mountain farmed trout, called "trucha" locally, and various types of soups are commonly served in the restaurants, that cater to those living in a cooler climate. The city is clean and residents can be found walking the streets wearing the pura lana (pure wool) sweaters, another contrast with the rest of Venezuela. Merida is a good base for mountaineers interested in the National Parks nearby.
- Pros:Sophisticated Cool Contrast with the Tropical Attitude in the Rest of Venezuela
- Cons:Somewhat of a Distant Destination from Caracas
- In a nutshell:Merida is a unique part of Venezuela that Shouldn't Be Missed.
Merida is a city with history, so the colonial architecture set as it is to the backdrop of the Andes mountains is quite... more travel advice
As written about elsewhere here on the VT Merida pages, Tabay is worth the short 6 miles out of town on the transandian... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Mérida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago de Los Caballeros de Mérida"
- "Merida: Contrast of Relaxation and Extreme Sports"
- "Merida -2002"
- "Venezuela's University Town in the Andes"
- "merida and environs"
- "El Techo de Venezuela"
- "La ciudad de los caballeros"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mérida
- Hotels in Mérida
- Transportation in Mérida
- Nightlife in Mérida
- Restaurants in Mérida
- Shopping in Mérida
- Warnings and Dangers in Mérida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mérida
- 9 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Mérida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mérida
Photos in MéridaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos