"Creative Ceramics with Indigenous Designs" Quíbor by atufft

Quíbor Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 30 photos

Quibor Ceramics Have World-Wide Distribution

The Quibor designs are quite distinctive and easy to identify. When we lived in Saudi Arabia, we found a shop with Quibor ceramics. We have found a few shops in the USA with Quibor, and once we sold a several boxes of Quibor to some local shops. At the time we visited, we learned that some importers visit the town regularly to buy large lots on contract. Yet, Quibor remains largely unknown to most of the world. The most famous vessel shape from Quibor is the "tripode" or tripod, which, as the name implies, is a three legged vessel jar of sorts, and there's a monument in town to verify its importance. There however are a wide variety of other shapes and a multitude of sizes, and recently wood and stone carvers, furniture makers, and other artists have joined in the marketplace of Quibor products available there. Many of these are described in the tips in my Local Customs tips for Quibor.

• Last visit to Quíbor: Jul 1997
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Nice Pottery. I can see why you have bought some to take home!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Great tips on Quibor pottery. You certainly have a large collection! I 'm surprised I haven't seen such pieces at a large international "arts & crafts" fair we have near here (something like "Ten Thousand Villages" pieces).

• AngieMae's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I didn't know that you can find the Quíbor's ceramics in Saudi Arabia and the US! Maybe are more places when you can find it! Thanks for the info!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 1:49 PM

I didn't know that page. Nice job! Do you have one photo of the village(s) to help put the pottery in context?

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Great pictures Alan!

Quíbor Travel Guide

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Quíbor