"The Blue City of Jodhpur and Village of Rohet" Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur by atufft
Jodhpur Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 1,061 photos
The Mehrangarh Fort is one of the most impressive in India for it's central location and extraordinary height above the city around it. Beyond the edges of this second largest city in Rajasthan, the first being Jaipur, open desert can be found, and so the city is relatively isolated, enjoying almost year around sun. In addition to the citadel, the old city is walled with six gates: Nagauri, Merati, Sojati, Jalori, Siwanchi, and Chand pol.
Founded in 1459 by Rao Jodha, a Rajput chief belonging to the Rathore clan, the city soon became a capital of sorts for a fiefdom within the Mughal domaine, while also retaining independence. Located on the strategic road linking Delhi to Gujarat, the Rathore clan profited from trade in opium, copper, silk, sandal wood, date palms, and coffee, and so were able to easily pay their fealty. Jodhpur's Marwaris merchants imported during their travels ideas in art and architecture, both Mughal and Rajput. During this period, Jodhpur furnished the mughals with several notable generals, such as Maharaja Jaswant Singh.
However, under the reign of Aurangzeb, Mughal control over the state was imposed for a short period, and subsequent to the death of Aurangzeb, internal rivalries and corruption lead to a decline in the fortunes of the city. By the time of the British arrival in 1818, ruinous civil war between Marwari and Marantha tribes provided for the typical divide and conquer strategy that incorporated Jodhpur into a subsidiary alliance.
History aside, the merchant wealth of Jodhpur was poured into the wonderful yellow and red sandstone palace of the rajput princes. Thus, the fortress, like many in India, contrasts a awesome military defense structure with the remote and idealic wealth of wonderful architecture for those who lived inside.
Rohet was a jagir, or vassal fiefdom, within the Marwar domaine, begining in 1622, when Thakur Dalpat Singh, was awarded a track of land for his bravery in war. Today, Rohetgarh remains a pleasant place to stay, with an opportunity to interact with descendent Maharaja in his home and villagers over whom he rules and protects. This small town is off the road between Udaipur and Jodhpur, and provided my wife and I a highlight of our 21 day trip to India. See Off the Beaten Path for more information.
- In a nutshell:The Blue City is a Must Stop on a Visit through Rajasthan
Strictly speaking, India is not starving nor short of food. The problem is one of wealth distribution, and the fruit... more travel advice
Interestingly, while west side of the fortress is immersed in the city of blue, the northeast side is exposed to the... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Jodhpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jodhpur"
- "The Blue City"
- "jodhpur :Glorious Marwar"
- "BLUE SKIES ABOVE BLUE CITY"
- "The Blue City of Jodhpur and Village of Rohet"
- "Jodhpur-the blue city"
- "A blue city sojourn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jodhpur
- Hotels in Jodhpur
- Transportation in Jodhpur
- Nightlife in Jodhpur
- Restaurants in Jodhpur
- Shopping in Jodhpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jodhpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jodhpur
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Jodhpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jodhpur
Photos in JodhpurSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos