"Bustling Hindu Temple Town Between Delhi and Agra" Mathura by atufft
Mathura Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 72 photos
Our driver proceded from Delhi along the nation's busiest highway to Agra, where the Taj Mahal and Red Fort of Agra are located. But, we were persuaded that given available time, stops in Vrindavan and Mathura would be worthwhile. Vrindavan is a sleepy hamlet compared to busy Mathura, particularly downtown. Our driver honked his horn continuously to push his way through the traffic, and we were surprised by how narrow the road down to the water front really was.
We visited during the dry season, so the river was not high. We walked across the sand of the riverbed and observed a ferryman transporting people back and forth across the river in a tiny boat with a pole. Also along the riverbank, local people doing laundry and drying it on the sand. It was interesting watching the Hindu laundry workers skillfully fold large sheets. The river is not clean, but I did see a snake swimming in the dirty water.
The town has it's own attractions for those on pilgrimage along the Yumana River. There is a very unusual red and yellow painted Hindu temple with "swatiska" symbols on it, and there's a mosque quite near the river, crowded in among the compact part of central Mathura.
- In a nutshell:Great Stop on Way to Agra by Car or Train
We didn't visit it, but there is also a Mosque worth visiting by its presence along the Yumana River waterfront. more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Mathura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brajbhoomi Mathura"
- "Bustling Hindu Temple Town Between Delhi and Agra"
- "Mathura, on the way to Agra"
- "An evening at Lord Krishna's home"
- "Mathura Birth Place of Loard 'Krishna'"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mathura
- Hotels in Mathura
- Restaurants in Mathura
- Shopping in Mathura
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mathura
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Mathura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mathura
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos