"Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve" Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur by atufft
Sawai Madhopur Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 445 photos
Ranthambore National Park at 392 sq km is a fraction of the devoted tiger preserve, which is some 1134 sq km. At the time we had visited in 1998 however, the park was still subject to firewood collecting by locals living in the area. Nevertheless, the park is now a fully self-sustaining ecosystem that not only supports the diet of tigers, but also leopards and crocodiles. Thus, if tigers aren't seen by the visitor, a distinct possibility, there remains a wide variety of prey wildlife, including several deer species, and the ubiquitous wild boar. Although tigers are noctural hunters in most preserves, Ranthambhore is famous for having daytime predators, making this perhaps the best place for the average tourist to see a living, happy, and free Bengal Tiger.
Most people visiting this game preserve are in search of the elusive Bengal tigers there, but the ruins of the citadel on the edge of the park are also of considerable interest. Built during the 10th century by the Chauhans, the most historically interesting siege was in 1298 when Alaudin battled legendary Rajput hero Hammira to the latters complete annihilation. During the siege, defending Hammira ordered a ritual suicide or johar by the women, while the men battled to their inevitable death. In subsequent centuries, Ranthambore changed hands between Mughal and Rajput leaders until rulers of Jaipur abandoned it, sometime shortly after the death of Mughal bad guy Arangazeb. The Maharaja of Jaipur retained the region as a hunting preserve until Indian independence in 1948. Today, the ruins are open to tourist and tiger to prowl alike, and so the decaying ruins have a reputation for not being particularly safe for visitors. It is mostly below the impressive walls or Ranthambore that tourists climb into jeeps and open air buses in search of the Bengal tiger.
- Pros:Wonderful opportunity to see the Bengal Tiger happy and hunting
- Cons:Crowded jeep trails and high odds that a tiger won't be seen
- In a nutshell:Ramthambhore is an Excellent Part of any Rajasthan Tour
Until very recently, this was a hunting preserve under the ownership of the Rajput leadership in Jaipur. This was of... more travel advice
Tigers will actually go after whatever opportunity they find for meat, including monkeys, peacocks, peahens, and so on.... more travel advice
- Wildlife Outside the Park
- See All Congregating at the Ranger Station
- See All Private Car or Train
atufft's Related Pages
Sawai Madhopur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ranthambore National Park"
- "Ranthambhore - Bengal Tiger Territory"
- "Sawai Madhopur - on our way to Ranthambore"
- "RANTHAMBHORE NATIONAL PARK"
- "Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve"
- "ON THE TRAIL OF THE TIGER"
- "Ranthambhore National Park - Where the Tigers Roam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sawai Madhopur
- Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
- Transportation in Sawai Madhopur
- Nightlife in Sawai Madhopur
- Restaurants in Sawai Madhopur
- Warnings and Dangers in Sawai Madhopur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sawai Madhopur
- 14 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Sawai Madhopur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sawai Madhopur
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Information on transportation..."
- Commented on one of 850prc's Sawai Madhopur travel pages
- Wrote a Review Rajput Hunting Lodges in Sawai Madhopur Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rajput Hunting Lodges"
- updated a Sawai Madhopur Travel Page "Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve"
Photos in Sawai MadhopurSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos