"The Defense Line of Amsterdam" Amsterdam by Pijlmans
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,251 reviews and 21,505 photos
A not-so-well-known attraction of Amsterdam is it´s former defense line. The UNESCO World Heritage Site "Defense Line of Amsterdam" (Stelling van Amsterdam) is a 135 km long ring of fortifications around Amsterdam, consisting of 42 fortresses situated 10-15 km from the center of Amsterdam. In combination with lowlands that could easily be flooded with water, these fortresses were build to protect Amsterdam in times of war. On the picture, the black circles represent these fortresses. For more info, see here.
For other tips, just check out the tip-section below about Amsterdam, or about Amsterdams green suburb Amstelveen, and the village Ouderkerk aan de Amstel with its many restaurants.
For walks in the neighborhood of Amsterdam, see my page about hiking in the Netherlands.
In my Amstelveen tip section, there are several (mainly outdoor and often free) things to do for families with children, and short hikes in the green environment of Amsterdam. But also the CoBrA and Jan van der Toght museums for modern art. The CoBrA Museum has been elected as the "Best Museum of 2008" by a Dutch newspaper.
In addition, Amstelveen has the biggest shopping center in the region, which can easily be reached by tram, metro or bus from Amsterdam.
Four authentic "banning poles" or "boundary stakes" (called "banpaal" in Dutch) can be found around Amsterdam. They are... more travel advice
Zutphen is a picturesque city along the river IJssel in the province Gelderland, in the mid-east of the Netherlands. It... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 47 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 625 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Berovo Forum "Re: Are the mosquitoes a problem?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Amsterbanned Green: Banning pole cycling tour"
- Wrote a Review Amsterbanned Green: Banning pole cycling tour in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Commented on one of johngayton's Amsterdam tips
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "The Defense Line of Amsterdam"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos