"The Defense Line of Amsterdam" Amsterdam by Pijlmans
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,686 reviews and 22,765 photos
A not-so-well-known attraction of Amsterdam is itīs former defense line. The UNESCO World Heritage Site "Defense Line of Amsterdam" (Stelling van Amsterdam) is a 135 km long ring of fortifications around Amsterdam, consisting of 42 fortresses situated 10-15 km from the center of Amsterdam. In combination with lowlands that could easily be flooded with water, these fortresses were build to protect Amsterdam in times of war. On the picture, the black circles represent these fortresses. For more info, see here.
For other tips, just check out the tip-section below about Amsterdam, or about Amsterdams green suburb Amstelveen, and the village Ouderkerk aan de Amstel with its many restaurants.
For walks in the neighborhood of Amsterdam, see my page about hiking in the Netherlands.
In my Amstelveen tip section, there are several (mainly outdoor and often free) things to do for families with children, and short hikes in the green environment of Amsterdam. But also the CoBrA and Jan van der Toght museums for modern art. The CoBrA Museum has been elected as the "Best Museum of 2008" by a Dutch newspaper.
In addition, Amstelveen has the biggest shopping center in the region, which can easily be reached by tram, metro or bus from Amsterdam.
In 2013, the municipality of Amstelveen decided to designate 53 bridges in the Amsterdam Forest as municipal monuments.... more travel advice
Four authentic "banning poles" or "boundary stakes" (called "banpaal" in Dutch) can be found around Amsterdam. They are... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 48 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 680 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: 1-2 days: Utrecht and/or..."
- Wrote a Review Monumental bridges route in the Amsterdam Forest about Amsterdamse Bos in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monumental bridges route in the Amsterdam Forest"
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Amsterdam tips
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "The Defense Line of Amsterdam"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (110)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 145 reviews, 625 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 111 reviews, 368 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos