"The Dutch Pyramids" Borger by Pijlmans
Borger Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 134 photos
Hunebeds, or dolmen, are tombs built over 5000 years ago by the people of the Funnelbeaker culture.
The boulders were brought to the Netherlands from Scandinavia, during the Ice Ages.
There are 54 hunebeds in the Netherlands. Because more than 10 of them are in the direct vicinity of Borger, Borger is also called the Hunebed Capital of the Netherlands.
The Hunebed Centre/Museum is built next to the largest hunebed (D27) of the Netherlands.
The environment of Borger offers a lot of nature to explore.
There is a construction in the forest, where you can walk between the tree tops. This is called the Boomkroonpad.
In the tip section are descriptions of several hikes you can do in the nature around Borger. One of them, called Bijvoetpad, takes you along most of the hunebeds.
- In a nutshell:A must-see part of Dutch history
Hotel Braams dates back to the 17th century. It is located in the village Gieten, close to Borger. We were told that... more travel advice
Hunebed and D18 and D17 are located just a few 100 meters from each other. They are close to the medieval Jacobus... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Borger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dutch Pyramids"
- "Largest dolmen in The Netherlands"
- "Holiday 1990 & 1994"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borger
- Hotels in Borger
- Restaurants in Borger
- Warnings and Dangers in Borger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Borger
- 34 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Borger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos