"Schoonhoven" Schoonhoven by Pijlmans
Schoonhoven Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 74 photos
Schoonhoven was founded in the 13th century at the border between the provinces Holland and Utrecht. It lies directly at the river Lek, which flows to Rotterdam.
Schoonhoven was a fortified town and has several times been besieged; in 1572 by The Beggars (De Geuzen), and in 1575 by the Spanish. There is only one remaining city gate, called Veerpoort, close to the river Lek.
In the 17th century the town was home to a fleet of 30 ships and in the 18th century copper- and silversmiths came to town. The silversmiths of Schoonhoven became well known in the rest of the country.
In the end of the 19th century, a school for gold- and silver smiths was founded.
Silver still plays an important role in Schoonhoven, as judged by the many shops that sell jewelery.
In the Watertower a silver gallery and silver workshops can be found.
There also is a Gold, Silver and Clocks Museum in Silvercity Schoonhoven.
A visit to Schoonhoven can be combined with a 14 km long and marked hike along a small river and through pasture. This hike includes the beautiful Mill Bonrepas, the villages and churches of Polsbroek and Cabauw, and includes an old path used by churchgoers.
The hike is called "Cabauwse Jacobs route", after the Jacobs Church in the village Cabauw and is marked by the Dutch Touring Club ANWB.
The Tourist Office (VVV) can provide you with more information about hikes and bicycle routes in the neighbourhood of Schoonhoven.
Some more pictures of this picturesque village more travel advice
A ferry boat connects Schoonhoven with the village Gelkenes on the other side of the river Lek. more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Schoonhoven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY SCHOONHOVEN PAGE......:-)"
- "Schoonhoven, Netherlands"
- "Schoonhoven, city of silver and gold"
- "Schoonhoven, the silver town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schoonhoven
- Restaurants in Schoonhoven
- Shopping in Schoonhoven
- See All...
Explore the World
- Iloilo City
- Saint Louis
- Seaton Carew Hotels
- Isla Holbox
- Padukka Hotels
- Yosemite National Park
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Shawnee State Park Hotels
- Fort Carson Hotels
- Kipahulu Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Rüdesheim am Rhein
Badges & Stats in Schoonhoven
- 12 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Schoonhoven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schoonhoven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 105 photos