"Golem Grad" Ostrovo Golem Grad by Pijlmans
Ostrovo Golem Grad Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 48 photos
Golam Grad is an uninhabited island in Lake Prespa, in the southwest of Macedonia. Golem Grad means Big City, but the island is also known as Zmiski Ostrov, meaning Snake Island. And not without reason, because we saw several snakes during our visit. I do not know if they are poisonous, but I would carefully watch where I put my feet if I were you!
Golem Grad is part of the Galicica National Park, that lies between Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa. The island contains rare flora and fauna, so please respect the nature when you visit. We even saw pelicans and many other birds!
Although Golem Grad is uninhabited now, people have been living on the island for centuries.
They say that Samoil was crowned Tsar on the island in 976.
The remains of two 14th-century churches can be found on the island, St Petka and St Dimitri, as well as the ruins of an old village.
If you go to Golem Grad by boat, ask the captain to navigate around the island, so you can really enjoy all its beauty. If you look carefully, you will see the ruins of more churches on the cliffs.
We arranged a small boat in Konjsko, a small village on the west shore of Lake Prespa. Konjsko is not easily reachable, since the asphalt road stops shortly after Stenje. You need a 4WD or not be afraid to drive on an unpaved road. You can also walk from Stenje, it is about 8 to 10 km. The boat trip from Konjsko to Golem Grad takes about 30 minutes. You could also try to get a boat at Stenje, then the boat trip probably takes about 90 minutes.
All visits to the island have to be agreed with the administration of the Galicica National Park.
See the reviews below for more information and pictures.
This website has some more information about Golem Grad. 2011 WARNING: My virus scanner found a virus on this website.... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Ostrovo Golem Grad Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ostrovo Golem Grad
- 10 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Ostrovo Golem Grad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostrovo Golem Grad
Photos in Ostrovo Golem GradSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos