"Golem Grad" Ostrovo Golem Grad by Pijlmans

Ostrovo Golem Grad Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 48 photos

Snake Island

Golam Grad is an uninhabited island in Lake Prespa, in the southwest of Macedonia. Golem Grad means Big City, but the island is also known as Zmiski Ostrov, meaning Snake Island. And not without reason, because we saw several snakes during our visit. I do not know if they are poisonous, but I would carefully watch where I put my feet if I were you!

Golem Grad is part of the Galicica National Park, that lies between Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa. The island contains rare flora and fauna, so please respect the nature when you visit. We even saw pelicans and many other birds!

Although Golem Grad is uninhabited now, people have been living on the island for centuries.

They say that Samoil was crowned Tsar on the island in 976.

The remains of two 14th-century churches can be found on the island, St Petka and St Dimitri, as well as the ruins of an old village.

If you go to Golem Grad by boat, ask the captain to navigate around the island, so you can really enjoy all its beauty. If you look carefully, you will see the ruins of more churches on the cliffs.

We arranged a small boat in Konjsko, a small village on the west shore of Lake Prespa. Konjsko is not easily reachable, since the asphalt road stops shortly after Stenje. You need a 4WD or not be afraid to drive on an unpaved road. You can also walk from Stenje, it is about 8 to 10 km. The boat trip from Konjsko to Golem Grad takes about 30 minutes. You could also try to get a boat at Stenje, then the boat trip probably takes about 90 minutes.

All visits to the island have to be agreed with the administration of the Galicica National Park.

See the reviews below for more information and pictures.

• Last visit to Ostrovo Golem Grad: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2013

• picek's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM

How lovely is this place - I wish I heard of it before when I was in Macedonia. But it inspires to visit another time, snakes are wonderful too and birds even more :) Good tips!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Beautiful again, but I have a serious fear of snakes.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Very interesting page! What a nice island (except the snakes...)!

Pijlmans

“For a good pig there's no bad food”

Badges & Stats in Ostrovo Golem Grad

Have you been to Ostrovo Golem Grad?

Latest Activity in Ostrovo Golem Grad