"Kratovo" Kratovo by Pijlmans
Kratovo Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 184 photos
Kratovo is a village in the northeast of Macedonia, situated in the crater of an ancient volcano. The name of the village still reminds you of this fact.
It used to be a mining town for gold and silver. In 1689, the miners of Kratovo joined the Macedonian hero Karpos when he rose up against the Ottomans, at the side of the Austrians. Unfortunately, after taking over Kriva Palanka and Kumanovo, Karpos and 200 of his man were killed and impaled on the Stone Bridge in Skopje. A memorial plaque at the Stone Bridge still reminds of this tragic event.
In the surroundings of Kratovo are the ancient observatory Cocev Kamen, the archeological site Golemo Gradiste and the natural locality the Stone Dolls.
The river Tabacka runs through the crater, and four stone bridges across the river date from the early Ottoman period.
The bridge called Radin was destroyed en repaired, but not to its original state.
Originally there were twelve defense towers in Kratovo, now only six remain, among which the Saat Kula or Clock Tower.
The towers originally did not have stairs and you could only access the higher floors with a ladder. The villagers could hide from the enemy in the upper levels of the tower, and take the ladder up with them. From there they could defend themselves against their attackers with weapons, rocks and hot oil.
In the Municipal Center of Rock Art they will be able to tell you about the sights in Kratovo and surroundings and they can provide you with guides.
The Stone Dolls, or Kameni Kukli, are strange stone pillars that have been formed 10 million years ago by erosion. They... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Kratovo
- 29 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Kratovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kratovo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos