"Krusevo" Top 5 Page for this destination Krusevo by Pijlmans
Krusevo Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 163 photos
We arrived in Krusevo by foot, coming from the Monastery of St Spas in Trstenik. This was part of a 3-4 day trip we did from Ohrid-Prilep-Krusevo-Ohrid, with a stay in Prilep and in the Monastery of St Spas.
Krusevo is allegedly the highest town of the Balkan, at 1250 m. On August 2 1903 (the holy day of St Ilija), the Macedonians fought for independence from the Ottoman empire. This day is known as Ilinden or Ilijaīs day. In Krusevo there was some heavy fighting, and on August 3 the independence of the Republic of Krusevo was announced, but it lasted only for 10 days until it was brought down again by the Ottomans.
We wanted to see the huge statue in Meckin Kamen and the Ilinden Uprising Monument. However, we had limited time and there are no taxis in this town. So we asked around and found somebody that was willing to drive us to these sites (for too many denars, but hey, we made his day :-).
Meckin Kamen was the site of one of the battles. The story tells that the Macedonians were heavily outnumbered by the Ottomans and short of ammunition, so they started to throw rocks. The powerful statue shows a fighter throwing a huge rock. The Macedonians come here every August 2nd to celebrate the independence of Macedonia.
The Ilinden Uprising Monument is on the opposite side of town of the Meckin Kamen monument. The monument contains the tomb of Nikola Karaev, who was made president of the Republic of Krusevo in 1903.
After this visit we went by bus to Prilep and subsequently back to Ohrid, and our three day Ohrid-Prilep-Krusevo trip was finished.
The Monastery of St Spas was built in 1836. The Monastery stands out on a hill when you approach Krusevo from Prilep,... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Krusevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kru?evo - dear to my heart!"
- "No better place to be in Winter!"
- "Krushevo the Birthplace of Independant Macedonia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krusevo
- Hotels in Krusevo
- Restaurants in Krusevo
- Shopping in Krusevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Krusevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krusevo
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Krusevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krusevo
- Posted in Travel Struga Forum "Re: florina-bitola-struga"
- updated a Krusevo Travel Page "Krusevo"
- Commented on one of Vanity666's Krusevo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Monastery of St Spas in Trstenik, near Krusevo in Krusevo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monastery of St Spas in Trstenik, near Krusevo"
Photos in KrusevoSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos