"Kumanovo" Kumanovo by Pijlmans
Kumanovo Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 84 photos
There are a few interesting sites close to this third-largest town of Macedonia
The ancient Megalithic Observatory Kokino is located about 30 kilometers northeast of Kumanovo, close to the village Kokino. The Observatory of Kokino has been dated back at least to 1800 BC, so it is over 3800 old! It is on the U.S. Space Agency NASA's list of ancient observatories, together with for instance Stonehenge in Great Britain. It allegedly was used to study the movements of the sun and the moon.
A bit closer to Kumanovo, along the same road to Kokino, you can find the Monastery of Staro Nagoricane, located in the village Staro Nagoricane. This Monastery houses the Church of St George, built in 1313.
About 500 meter from the Serbian-Macedonian border, in former Macedonia but nowadays Serbia, there is the Monastery of Prohor Pcinjski.
To cross the border, you of course need your passport, and if you go by car, a green card for car insurance. Because we did not have a green card, we left our car in the no-man's land before the Serbian border, and walked the 500 meters up to the monastery. I doubt if such a small walk still will be possible in the near future, since it seemed that the Serbian border crossing will soon be moved deeper into the no-man's land towards Macedonia.
This church stands at the foot of the rock formation Kostoperska Karpa in the village Mlado Nagorichane. Is is located... more travel advice
Some more pictures of Kumanovo: Two statues in a small park, one of them is dedicated to the former Jugoslavian... more travel advice
Written Oct 3, 2010
Written Aug 28, 2010
Kokino Megalithic Observatory Pictures
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Kumanovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lindroos_J's new Kumanovo Page"
- "On road construction in Macedonia"
- "Kumanovo...or Kumanova :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kumanovo
- Transportation in Kumanovo
- Restaurants in Kumanovo
- Shopping in Kumanovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kumanovo
- 14 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Kumanovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kumanovo
Photos in KumanovoSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos