"Mavrovo" Mavrovo by Pijlmans
Mavrovo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 109 photos
Mavrovo was proclaimed National Park in 1949 and is the biggest National Park of Macedonia, located in the north-west and bordering Albania. It covers an area of more than 73,000 square hectares.
More than 1000 species of higher plants can be found here, as well as no less than 140 species of birds and 45 species of wild animals.
The Mavrovo National Park is a popular resort for the Macedonians, with many weekend houses.
Shepherds walk with their sheep on the slopes of the mountains in the park.
There is an artificial lake in the park, Lake Mavrovo, accumulated in 1953 after a dam was build. This caused a church to be flooded, parts of which still can be seen in the lake. The picture was taken after a dry period in 2007, when the church fully emerged from the lake.
The mountain surrounding the lake is called Mount Bistra. Mount Bistra is also the location of the second by size ski center in Macedonia.
If you like to stay overnight in the neighbourhood, you can consider the mountain hut near Tajmiste.
Besides enjoying the natural beauty of Mavrovo National Park, there are some other sights in the park:
- The village Galicnik with its famous yearly traditional wedding
- The Monastery of Sveti Jovan Bigorski (St John the Baptist)
- The cave Sharkova Dupka
See the tip section below for details
This sign was placed at the place "Draga", a football field about 1 km above the village Bituse in Mavrovo National... more travel advice
They say that the bridge is build by an Ottoman lord (also called a "bey") during the 14th century. The bey and his... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Mavrovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE HEAVEN"
- "just part of Mavrovo National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mavrovo
- Hotels in Mavrovo
- Transportation in Mavrovo
- Restaurants in Mavrovo
- Warnings and Dangers in Mavrovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mavrovo
- 22 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Mavrovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mavrovo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 109 reviews, 365 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos