"Nakolec" Nakolec by Pijlmans
Nakolec Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 16 photos
Nakolec is a village on the east side of Lake Prespa, close to the border with Greece.
"Nakolec" means "on pillars", referring to a former settlement built on pillars or stilts in the water. Ancient remains of such a settlement were also found in Lake Ohrid near the campsite Gradiste. This site at Lake Ohrid is now called "Bay of the Bones", where a Museum with a reconstruction of such a Pile Dwelling Settlement was built.
The Church of St Nikola used to be just on the shore of Lake Prespa, but is now more inland due to the loss of water from Lake Prespa.
Allegedly, some excavations have been done where once the water was, but if there was something to see, it's completely overgrown by now.
If you take the unpaved road just in front of St Nikolas to the left, you will find the small Church of St Atanas.
Both churches are likely to be closed, but we got the key when we asked in the shop on the picture. By chance, the man working in the shop turned out to be the caretaker of the churches!
Not far from Nakolec, at the border with Greece, you can see a Footprint of King Marko.
The caretaker of the churches St Nikola and St Atanas in Nakolec told us that there was an imprint of the foot of King... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Nakolec
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Nakolec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nakolec
Photos in NakolecSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos