Ohrid Sports & Outdoors Tips by Pijlmans Top 5 Page for this destination
Ohrid Sports & Outdoors: 8 reviews and 13 photos
Galicica National Park Map
Finally there is a map with hiking trails in the Galicica National Park near Ohrid.
In 2012 the map was NOT available at the Galicica National Park Office, where you would expect it to be available since the National Park Office is located directly at the border of Galicica National Park.
We only could find the map at "Mega Tours", in the center of Ohrid, about 2.5 km from the National Park Office. With 250 denars, a bit more than 4 euros, the map is quite expensive for Macedonian standards.
In August-September 2012 it was not allowed to enter the Galicica National Park. A nation-wide ban to enter the forest was announced because of forest fires. Although we could obtain permits for hiking from authorities elsewhere in Macedonia, the Galicica National Park authorities would not give us such a permit and we could not do the hikes we planned in Galicica National Park. Hopefully their rigid attitude changes during future summers, otherwise this nice map is pretty useless.
The map describes the following hikes (Approximate length and times depending on the direction the hike is performed):
Velgosti - Letnica - Ramne - Visitor Center Ohrid (12.5 km, 5-6 h)
Ramne - Letnica - Visok Peak - Krstec - Velestovo (12 km, 4.5-5.5 h)
Velestovo - Krstec - Tri Mazi Peak - Elsani (17 km, 7-8h)
Elsani - Bugarska Cuka - Lako Signoj - Galicica Pass (13 km, 5.5-6.5 h)
Galicica Pass - Magaro Peak - Galicica Pass (8 km, 4.5 h)
Dva Javora - Sarbojca Refuge - Samotska Dupka Cave (14 km, 5-7 h)
Velestovo - Elen Peak - Konjsko - Elsani (9 km, 2.5-3 h)
Pestani - St Spas - Galicica Pass - Pestani (8 km, 2.5-4.5 h)
Otesevo - Goga Peak - Sarbojca Refuge (23 km, 6-10 h)
Stenje - Konjsko (8 km, 2.5 h)
I don't know how well the trails are marked, since we were not allowed to enter the park. A few years back we walked the Galicica Pass - Magaro Peak - Galicica Pass route, which was supposed to be a round-trip, but at the peak we lost the marking and had to return via the same route as we came. I hope this is not an indication for the quality of the other trails...
Address: Saint Kliment of Ohrid, Ohrid
Directions: N41.11329 E20.79952
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ohrid Swimming Marathon
Every summer there is the Ohrid Swimming Marathon in Lake Ohrid.
The participant swim from St Naum in the south of the lake to the harbor of Ohrid in the north of the lake. This is 30 km!
Diving Club AMORFA
Diving Center AMFORA lies next to the museum at the Bay of the Bones near campsite Gradiste.
You can do sightseeing of the underwater archeological diving locations in lake Ohrid.
I've not done this myself, just picked up their flyer at the museum.
Address: Lazo Trposki 35a, 6000 Ohrid
Directions: About 150m after Gradiste campsite along the way from Ohrid to St Naum.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Theme: Scuba Diving
Mountain Bike Trail in Galicica National Park
There is a marked mountain bike trial in Galicica National Park.
The start of the trail is next to the petrol station on the roundabout on the road Bulevar Turisticka, just before you leave Ohrid on the road to St Naum.
Here you will also find a big sign with information about the trail, see the pictures for a more detailed view of the map and legend.
The trail goes from this point to the village Velestovo and then south through the Galicica National park.
The mountain bike trail from Ohrid to Dva Javori is 30.1 km, the trail back from Dva Javori is 25.1 km (together 55.2 km).
From this point, also a walk to the Church of St Petka in the village Velgosti, via the village Ramne, starts on top of the stairs shown in the pictures. Please see my description of this walk before you attemp to do it, because it is very badly marked!
More Reviews (118)
- See All Church of St Dimitrija
- See All Duvalo Volcano in Kosel
- See All Tourist Information
- See All St Apostel Paul Airport
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 122 Reviews
- 515 Photos
- 51 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: Eindhoven train station to NH..."
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Ohrid travel pages
- updated a Ohrid Travelogue "Hike to Peak Magaro"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit St Naum by boat from Ohrid"
- Wrote a Review Map of Galicica National Park in Ohrid Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Video to Ohrid
Photos in OhridSee All Photos (515)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos
- other churches & monasteries- 56 Reviews, 173 Photos
- on the lake...- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- samuil fortress- 29 Reviews, 81 Photos
- st. sophia- 24 Reviews, 66 Photos
- st. jovan kaneo- 19 Reviews, 51 Photos
- old town & architecture- 28 Reviews, 60 Photos
- st. climent- 13 Reviews, 35 Photos
- st. naum- 16 Reviews, 41 Photos
- plaoshnik- 14 Reviews, 40 Photos
- amphitheater- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Ohrid Things to Do