"Ohrid" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid by Pijlmans
Ohrid Travel Guide: 912 reviews and 3,064 photos
The fact that both the lake and the town of Ohrid are under the protection of UNESCO should say enough. The lake is one of the oldest in the world and the town itself is precious. The Galicica National park is around the corner.
Lake Ohrid has nice beaches, quiet ones and beaches with bars and music. The quiet beaches can be reached by foot (or buy or rent a bike, depending on how long you´re staying). For the more trendy beaches, take a cab or minibus and ask for the "Gradiste" beaches.
If relaxing at the lake side is not your thing, Galicica National Park is at walking distance from Ohrid. Check my page about hiking in Macedonia for many suggestions of hikes that you can do in Galicica National Park.
The main sights of Ohrid can be seen within a day. But remember, besides these few sites, Ohrid has a lot more churches and monasteries to offer. Several of them are in the tip section below. A convenient tour that takes you in a circle along the most interesting sites is described below. You can also do this Ohrid City Tour with GPS.
1) The statue of Kiril and Metodi in the centre of Ohrid near the lake, teachers of the Glagolitic script and and fathers of Slav literary culture. The Cyrillic script is named after Kiril (Cyril). On the square there is also a statue of their pupil, St Clement.
2) Follow the street next to the lake into the old town of Ohrid to the Church of St Sofia.
3) Walk up from St Sofia to the Roman Amphitheater near the Upper Gate.
4) See the late 13th-century church Sveti Bogorodica Perivleptos and the Icon Gallery.
5) Visit Tsar Samoil's Fortress .
6) Walk down through the forest to St Clement´s Monastery Church, dedicated to saints Clement and Pantelejmon. This is a new and beautiful church, completed in 2002. It stands next to the ruins of the original St Clement´s monastery school at Plaosnik. Plaosnik now is a rapidly growing excavation site.
7) From there, descent to the Church of St Jovan at Kaneo, a breathtaking church on the cliffs above the lake. This church also features in the Milco Mancevski movie "Before the Rain".
8) Just below the entrance to St Jovan Church, the very small Cave Church St Bogorodica can be found next to a scenic willow tree in the water.
9) Back in the centre of Ohrid, on the Krusevska Republika Square, a fountain and a 900-year old plane tree can be found. The story goes that this hollow tree housed a barber´s shop and later a very small cafe.
After this, just wander off through the old part of town.
Struga, Kalista and Radozda are villages on the west shore of Lake Ohrid and Vevcani and Gorna Belica are located more land inwards.
On the east side of Lake Ohrid you can visit the villages Lescoec, Velestovo, Konjsko and Pestani. An interesting 6.5 km hike takes you from Ohrid to the villages Ramne and Velgosti.
Lake Prespa and its uninhabited island Golem Grad are on the other site of Galicica National Park.
When hiking in Galicica National Park (see GPS hike traversing Galicica National Park through the valley), I found a... more travel advice
During my GPS hike traversing Galicica National Park over the ridge, I noticed several man-made structures. Besides the... more travel advice
- See All Pap company
- See All Galicica National Park Traverse Valley...
- Toll for the road through Galicica...
- See All Divine view
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Beautiful Ohrid Lake"
- "A Church for each day of the Year."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 145 Reviews
- 625 Photos
- 54 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Downloading Original Photo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ohrid City Tour By GPS"
- updated a Ohrid Travel Page "Ohrid"
- Wrote a Review Mountainbike tour in Galicica National Park about Mountain Biking in Galicica National Park in Ohrid Sports & Outdoors
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Ohrid travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Ohrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 145 reviews, 625 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 111 reviews, 368 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos