"Ohrid" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid by Pijlmans
Ohrid Travel Guide: 901 reviews and 3,003 photos
The fact that both the lake and the town of Ohrid are under the protection of UNESCO should say enough. The lake is one of the oldest in the world and the town itself is precious. The Galicica National park is around the corner.
Lake Ohrid has nice beaches, quiet ones and beaches with bars and music. The quiet beaches can be reached by foot (or buy or rent a bike, depending on how long you´re staying). For the more trendy beaches, take a cab and ask for the "Gradiste" beaches.
The main sights of Ohrid can be seen within a day. But remember, besides these few sites, Ohrid has a lot more churches and monasteries to offer. Several of them are in the tip section below. A convenient tour that takes you in a circle along the most interesting sites could be:
1) The statue of Kiril and Metodi in the centre of Ohrid near the lake, teachers of the Glagolitic script and and fathers of Slav literary culture. The Cyrillic script is named after Kiril (Cyril). On the square there is also a statue of their pupil, St Clement.
2) Follow the street next to the lake into the old town of Ohrid to the Church of St Sofia.
3) Walk up from St Sofia to the Roman Amphitheater near the Upper Gate.
4) See the late 13th-century church Sveti Bogorodica Perivleptos and the Icon Gallery.
5) Visit Tsar Samoil's Fortress .
6) Walk down through the forest to St Clement´s Monastery Church, dedicated to saints Clement and Pantelejmon. This is a new and beautiful church, completed in 2002. It stands next to the ruins of the original St Clement´s monastery school at Plaosnik. Plaosnik now is a rapidly growing excavation site.
7) From there, descent to the Church of St Jovan at Kaneo, a breathtaking church on the cliffs above the lake. This church also features in the Milco Mancevski movie "Before the Rain".
8) Just below the entrance to St Jovan Church, the very small Cave Church St Bogorodica can be found next to a scenic willow tree in the water.
9) Back in the centre of Ohrid, on the Krusevska Republika Square, a fountain and a 900-year old plane tree can be found. The story goes that this hollow tree housed a barber´s shop and later a very small cafe.
After this, just wander off through the old part of town.
Struga, Kalista and Radozda are villages on the west shore of Lake Ohrid and Vevcani and Gorna Belica are located more land inwards.
On the east side of Lake Ohrid you can visit the villages Lescoec, Velestovo, Konjsko and Pestani. An interesting 6.5 km hike takes you from Ohrid to the villages Ramne and Velgosti.
Lake Prespa and its uninhabited island Golem Grad are on the other site of Galicica National Park.
See my travelogues below for 2 hikes near Ohrid!
A road through Galicica National Park connects Lake Ohrid with Lake Prespa. To take this road, turn left into the... more travel advice
Once you think you've seen every possible thing in Ohrid, you stumble onto the Haji Durgut Mosque. According to a sign... more travel advice
- See All Mind your step
- See All Roundtrip from Velestovo through...
- See All Samotska Dupka Cave in Galicica National...
- See All Tourist Information
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Beautiful Ohrid Lake"
- "A Church for each day of the Year."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 133 Reviews
- 571 Photos
- 53 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- updated a Ohrid Travel Page "Ohrid"
- Posted in Travel Isla de Tenerife Forum "Re: Best places to hike on..."
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Ohrid tips
- Wrote a Review Toll for the road through Galicica National Park in Ohrid Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Toll for the road through Galicica National Park"
- Uploaded a Video to Ohrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos