"Skopje" Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje by Pijlmans
Skopje Travel Guide: 836 reviews and 2,155 photos
When I think of Skopje, several things pop up: The river Vardar, the Stone Bridge, the Kale Fortress and St Patrick, the Irish pub. The last one not quite very Macedonian but enjoyable nevertheless!
As with any major city, one should just "taste" the city by strolling around the old Turkish town Carsija and the centre of Skopje south of the river Vardar, connected by the Stone Bridge.
Big parts of Skopje have been destroyed several times the last 500 years: In 1555 and 1963 by major earthquakes and in 1689 when Skopje was set on fire by the Austrian general Piccolomini on his retreat during an outbreak of the plague. Some say he set fire to Skopje to eradicate the plague, others say it was revenge for the Ottoman invasion of Vienna in 1683.
The City Museum of Skopje is situated in the old train station, which was partly destroyed during the earthquake on July 26 1963. During the earthquake the station clock stopped and the clock´s hands are still at 05.17.
One of the highlights of the Museum of Macedonia is the statue of the Great Mother, found in a house of a neolithic settlement near Skopje in 1981.
The Museum of Contemporary Art lies to the west of Kale Fortress on top of a hill.
Skopje Zoo got a lot better over the years. We almost left crying after our first visit in 2003, but the accommodation for most animals significantly improved recently.
Being in a valley, Skopje tends to get *very* hot and smoggy in the summer and is not the most pleasant place to stay during those months!
A huge steel cross, lit up at night, oversees Skopje from Mount Vodno. It is a good target for a short hike!
Half-way up Mount Vodno lies the Monastery of Pantelejmon, worth a short visit, especially if you don´t take a cab but walk up the mountain.
Lake Matka is a man-made lake by damming the river Treska, about 30 minutes by car or bus from Skopje. It lies in a steep ravine of the Treska Valley. You can do some very nice hikes here and visit many churches.
The ruins of Skupi dating from the 4th century are not very interesting, since there is not too much to see. I found the Old Stone Aqueduct outside of Skopje much more exciting.
Many more sights are described in the tip section below.
Since August 2013 there is a self-guided Skopje City Walk available in English and Dutch. The guide contains two walks... more travel advice
The Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization (VMRO or IMRO) was founded in 1893. Its purpose was to obtain... more travel advice
- See All Hike from Mount Vodno to Lake Matka
- See All Flower Market
- See All Hotel Victoria
- See All Where the streets have no names
- See All Summerclub
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Skopje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skopje -- najgolem grad vo Makedonija!"
- "Skopje - A Reborn City"
- "A beautiful city on the river."
- "Moeto Skopjence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skopje
- Hotels in Skopje
- Transportation in Skopje
- Nightlife in Skopje
- Restaurants in Skopje
- Shopping in Skopje
- Warnings and Dangers in Skopje
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skopje
- 109 Reviews
- 388 Photos
- 93 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Skopje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skopje
- Posted in Travel Struga Forum "Re: florina-bitola-struga"
- updated a Skopje Travel Page "Skopje"
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Skopje tips
- Wrote a Review Skopje City Walk: self-guided with map in Skopje Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church of The birth of the Most Holy Mother of God"
- Uploaded a Video to Skopje
Photos in SkopjeSee All Photos (388)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos