"Stip: worth a Stop!" Stip by Pijlmans
Stip Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 300 photos
Stip may not be the first town you think of when visiting Macedonia. But besides being an interesting city itself with many churches, it is a good base for visits to for instance the archeological site Bargala. Or hikes around the mountain hut Vrteska, 40 km from Stip.
One characteristic feature of Stip is the river Otinja which runs through the center of Stip, shown on the opening picture. It is just a small stream in the summer, but filled with melting water from the mountains in the spring.
The other landmark of Stip are the ruins of the Isar Fortress, on a hill overlooking the city.
People come from all over the country to Stip because of the local specialty called Pastrmajlija, a sort of oval shaped pizza with meat on top.
You can find very cheap (and very basic) accommodation at Kezovica Spa, a spiritual stay in the Monastery of St Petka outside of Stip, or a sportive stay in the Vrteska Mountain Hut in the mountains 40 km from Stip.
Vinica is a village about 40 km northeast of Stip. It has an interesting and relatively well preserved fortress. You... more travel advice
Some pictures of what is left of the frescoes inside the Church of St George at Bargala. In 2010 the frescoes were... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Stip Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in Stip for tresure hunting"
- "Roman Astibo or modern day Shtip"
- "Stip: worth a Stop!"
- "Central city of eastern Macedonia"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stip
- 44 Reviews
- 243 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Stip?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stip
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: flying out of the united states"
- updated a Stip Travelogue "Bargala - Court, Prison Cell, Altar and Mortuarium"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bargala - Storage rooms"
- Wrote a Review Visit Vinica in Stip Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of MacedonianUK's Stip travel pages
Photos in StipSee All Photos (243)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 105 photos