"Stobi" Stobi by Pijlmans
Stobi Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 183 photos
Stobi is the largest archaeological site in Macedonia. It is located near the village Gradsko, on the highway from Veles to the south.
Together with Heraclea Lyncestis near Bitola this was also the most interesting site. Other archaeological sites I've visited are Skupi near Skopje and Plaosnik in Ohrid.
Stobi was built at the crossing of two important old Roman roads: the Axios Way along the river Vardar connected Stobi with Skupi (Skopje) and the Diagonal Way connected Stobi with Heraclea Lyncestis (Bitola).
The site has likely been inhabited since before the 4th century BC. The Roman ruins date from the 2nd-6th century AD. In the 6th century the city was abandoned after a series of earthquakes.
When we were in Stobi in the spring of 2008, an extra surprise were the seas of flowers which added extra beauty to the site.
Have a look at the Map of Stobi to get an idea of the size of the site.
In my tips you can find some information about the structures of Stobi:
Central Basilica and Synagogues
Palace of Polycharmos / House of Psalms
House of Peristerias
House of the Fuller
Close to the Theater of Stobi, and at the main entrance of the site, is a bar/restaurant, with toilet facilities.
There is also a museum shop with a good selection of books about Stobi and other archaeological sites. You can also buy replicas of famous Macedonian artifacts here.
2012 UPDATE: When we wanted to have a short stop at this bar at Stobi on our way from Negotino to Skopje, the bar was almost completely broken down. We heard the construction was not safe, they had to tear it down. Maybe a new bar and shop will arise here??
In total, we spend about two hours at the site. The site is big, and there is no shadow, so go well prepared: take sun cream and water!
If you cannot stand the heat, you can take a virtual tour from the north to the south by visiting my Stobi Travelogues.
This bar/restaurant is next to the main entrance to the archeological site Stobi. After you wandered for several hours... more travel advice
Close to the Northern entrance and the museum, is a small Lapidarium, where several (tomb)stones and other pieces of... more travel advice
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Stobi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman ruins just off the highway"
- "Stobi archeological site"
- "Archeological site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stobi
- 21 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Stobi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stobi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos