"Fort Eben-Emael" Eben-Emael by Pijlmans
Eben-Emael Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 32 photos
Only 15 minutes by car from Maastricht, the Netherlands, you will find Fort Eben-Emael, in Belgium.
This was allegedly the STRONGEST FORTRESS OF EUROPE in it´s time. Yet, it took the Germans only 15 MINUTES to take control over the fortress when the second world war started!
You will learn how this was possible when you visit the fort, which is opened to the public only one weekend per month. So check out the website and plan your visit in advance!
On open days, a guided tour will be given, which takes you through the endless tunnels of the fortress. This tour will give you a vivid idea of how the soldiers lived there and how terribly wrong things went on that May 10th 1940.
After the interesting tour, you can walk outside on the terrain and visit the bunkers and guns of the fortress.
Moreover, halfway the marked route (3 km), there is a fantastic panorama point over the valley of the river Maas.
Do not underestimate the size of the fortress, you can easily spend half a day here, museum, guided tour through the tunnels and walk outside included!
Rue du Fort 40
Phone/Fax : +32 (0) 4 2862 861
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Eben-Emael Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Eben-Emael
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Eben-Emael?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eben-Emael
Photos in Eben-EmaelSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 122 reviews, 515 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 108 reviews, 362 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos