Republic of Macedonia Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Pijlmans Top 5 Page for this destination
Republic of Macedonia Warnings and Dangers: 11 reviews and 19 photos
Maybe needless to tell the more experienced traveller that you should always have your passport with you...Well, I forgot to take it when we planned an overnight stay at a monastery...The thought that you have to register in such a sacred place never occurred to me! My drivers license unfortunately was not good enough...Result: No room for me!
So, take your passport, even if you´re planning to stay in a mountain hut or monastery!
Pig in pigsty
This is a huge dilemma: Telling people not to go to the Zoo will likely reduce turnover and consequently animal welfare...However, this zoo is too depressing to visit...The picture should speak for itself...
I can understand that there is lack of money...But in that case, better no zoo than this one!
Hopefully things have improved since this picture was taken (2003).
Update 2012: The zoo has improved a lot!
Since September 2008 you need proof of a valid health insurance when you enter Macedonia, otherwise you will have to buy one at the border. You can ask your insurance company for an international statement.
I believe that for short term stay this is only about 5 or 6 euros, but for long term stay it may be a lot more expensive.
NOTE (2010): This policy has been canceled! You do not need to proof anymore that you have a valid health insurance, or buy one at the border!
Be careful taking a drone to Macedonia
Recently, there have been several stories about people who wanted to take a drone into Macedonia and got their drone confiscated at the border.
They had to pay a high fine (500-600 euros) and did not get their drones back. One person even was detained and had to stand trial in Skopje, after passing the border near Bitola with a drone.
At the moment it is not clear what the legal grounds are for this confiscation. The official Macedonian customs site does not mention that it is illegal to carry a drone as personal luggage. It mentions that goods with a value above 350 euros have to be declared, but this seems only to apply to residents of Macedonia.
Until it is clear what the exact rules are for taking drones into Macedonia, you are advised to leave your drone at home. In case you have a drone with you, make sure you declare it at the customs.
There are also rumors that the drones are confiscated by corrupt customs officers.
More Reviews (107)
- See All 91 days in Macedonia
- See All Monastery accommodation in Macedonia
- See All Paths leading to the monasteries of...
- See All Monastery of St Bogorodica in Slivnica
- See All Holidays
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hiking in Macedonia and much more!"
- "FYR OF MACEDONIA"
- "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- "Smiles sent from Sunny MACIE"
- "Mnogu ja sakam Makedonjia!"
- "Macedonia the land of the sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Macedonia
- Hotels in Republic of Macedonia
- Transportation in Republic of Macedonia
- Nightlife in Republic of Macedonia
- Restaurants in Republic of Macedonia
- Shopping in Republic of Macedonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Macedonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Macedonia
- 959 Reviews
- 4,381 Photos
- 335 Forum posts
- 68 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Republic of Macedonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Macedonia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Deleting tips"
- created a Republic of Macedonia Travelogue "INDEX"
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Republic of Macedonia tips
- Wrote a Review Be Careful When Taking A Drone To Macedonia about A Drone in Macedonia in Republic of Macedonia Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking Website For The Macedonian Mountains"
- Uploaded a Video to Republic of Macedonia
Photos in Republic of MacedoniaSee All Photos (4381)
Videos in Republic of MacedoniaSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 145 reviews, 625 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 111 reviews, 368 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos