"Te Sakam Macedonia!" Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia by Pijlmans
FYR of Macedonia Travel Guide: 3,225 reviews and 11,705 photos
My girlfriend is from Skopje, Macedonia; I am Dutch and we live near Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
After falling in love with her, I fell in love with Macedonia. What a beautiful country!
Macedonia is located in the Balkan and borders Serbia and Kosovo in the north, Bulgaria in the east, Greece in the south and Albania in the west.
We both love to hike in the mountains, and as there are no mountains in the Netherlands, we frequently go to Macedonia to visit the family and go out into the nature.
In the "Reviews" section below you find some highlights of Macedonia in general. The same tips, supplemented with local information, you will find in the sections per city. Therefore, the best way to browse my pages is to use the links below to the individual cities and villages.
The links in bold refer to pages and sights that in my opinion are extra worthwhile.
Information about Hiking in Macedonia .
Skopje, the capital of Macedonia and the artificial Lake Matka.
The east side of Lake Ohrid: Ohrid, Leskoec, Velgosti, Ramne, Velestovo, Konjsko, Pestani and Trpejca.
The west side of Lake Ohrid: Struga, Kalista, Radozda, Oktisi, Vevcani, Visni and Gorna Belica.
The west side of Lake Prespa (Stenje), Konjsko and the uninhabited island Golem Grad.
The east side of Lake Prespa: Podmocani, Kurbinovo, Slivnica, Nakolec, Ljubojno and Brajcino.
When you travel by car from Skopje to Ohrid, you can take the direct road via Kichevo, or a more scenic route through Mavrovo National Park via Debar. Here are some suggestions for stops along both routes:
Along the direct road from Skopje to Ohrid: Tetovo, Lesok, Gostivar, Tajmiste, Kicevo, Vrbjani, Lesani, Velmej, Meseista, Volino and Orovnik.
Along the scenic road from Skopje to Ohrid (also via Tetovo): Mavrovo National Park: Galicnik, and Debar.
South-west Macedonia: Prilep, Krusevo, Resen, Bitola and Maloviste.
North-east Macedonia: Kumanovo, Staro Nagoricane, Kriva Palanka, Kratovo, Lesnovo, Kocani, Vinica, Morodvis, Veles, Stip and Berovo.
South-east Macedonia: Negotino, Kavadarci, Demir Kapija, Strumica, Valandovo, Staro Dojran and Gevgelija.
Macedonia has several archeological sites, such as:
Heraclea Lyncestis near Bitola, Stobi near the village Gradsko, Bargala near Stip, Golemo Gradiste near Kratovo, Plaosnik in Ohrid, Roman Baths at Bansko, Skupi near Skopje, Antigona near Negotino, Isar Marvinci near Valandovo, Vardarski Rid near Gevgelija.
Fortresses: Kale Fortress in Skopje, Tsar Samoil’s Fortress and Gradiste Fortress near Ohrid, Towers of Marko near Prilep, Ottoman Fortress above Tetovo, Vinica Fortress above Vinica, Isar Fortress in Stip, Tsar’s Towers at Strumica, Kale ruins near Veles and Castle at the Pcinja River between Skopje and Veles.
The ancient observatories Kokino near Kumanovo and Cocev Kamen (Tsotse’s Stone) near Kratovo.
The natural rarity The Stone Dolls near Kratovo and the Volcano Duvalo near Ohrid.
Caves: Vrelo Cave at Lake Matka, Bela Voda Cave near Demir Kapija, Kup Cave and Ajducka Cave near Stip, Pesna Cave and ruins of a fortress near Prilep and the Jaorec Cave near Velmej.
Many monasteries in Macedonia offer accommodation for guests. Some of the monasteries, such as the St Joakim Osogovski... more travel advice
The Slivnica Monastery with its Church dedicated to St Bogorodica (The Holy Virgin) is not very well known. To us, it... more travel advice
- See All Karatanova Tours
- See All Health Insurance
- See All Holidays
- Ski Center Mavrovo
Pijlmans' Related Pages
FYR of Macedonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Te Sakam Macedonia!"
- "FYR OF MACEDONIA"
- "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- "Smiles sent from Sunny MACIE"
- "Mnogu ja sakam Makedonjia!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in FYR of Macedonia
- Hotels in FYR of Macedonia
- Transportation in FYR of Macedonia
- Nightlife in FYR of Macedonia
- Restaurants in FYR of Macedonia
- Shopping in FYR of Macedonia
- Warnings and Dangers in FYR of Macedonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in FYR of Macedonia
- 916 Reviews
- 4,185 Photos
- 312 Forum posts
- 62 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to FYR of Macedonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in FYR of Macedonia
- Posted in Travel FYR of Macedonia Forum "Re: 14 Days in Macedonia -..."
- updated a FYR of Macedonia Travelogue "Hiking in Macedonia"
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's FYR of Macedonia tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monastery accommodation in Macedonia"
- Wrote a Review Monastery accommodation in... in FYR of Macedonia Hotels
- Uploaded a Video to FYR of Macedonia
Videos in FYR of MacedoniaSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 109 reviews, 365 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 reviews, 107 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos