"Hiking in Macedonia and much more!" Pijlmans's Profile
My space here on VT is mostly about Macedonia. My girlfriend is from Skopje in Macedonia, I am Dutch and we live near Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
Macedonia is located in the Balkan and borders Serbia and Kosovo in the north, Bulgaria in the east, Greece in the south and Albania in the west.
The links in bold refer to pages that in my opinion are extra worthwhile.
Follow this link for information about Hiking in Macedonia .
Follow this link for information about Monastery accommodation in Macedonia .
When you travel by car from Skopje to Ohrid, you can take the direct road via Kichevo, or a more scenic route through Mavrovo National Park via Debar. Here are some suggestions for stops along both routes:
Along the direct road from Skopje to Ohrid: Tetovo, Lesok, Gostivar, Tajmiste, Kicevo, Vrbjani, Lesani, Velmej, Meseista, Volino and Orovnik.
Along the scenic road from Skopje to Ohrid (also via Tetovo):
Mavrovo National Park, Galicnik, and Debar.
South-west Macedonia: Prilep, Krusevo, Resen, Bitola and Maloviste.
North-east Macedonia: Kumanovo, Staro Nagoricane, Kriva Palanka, Kratovo, Lesnovo, Kocani, Vinica, Morodvis, Veles, Stip and Berovo.
South-east Macedonia: Negotino, Kavadarci, Demir Kapija, Strumica, Valandovo, Staro Dojran and Gevgelija.
Heraclea Lyncestis near Bitola,
Stobi near the village Gradsko,
Bargala near Stip,
Golemo Gradiste near Kratovo,
Plaosnik in Ohrid,
Roman Baths at Bansko, Skupi near Skopje, Antigona near Negotino, Isar Marvinci near Valandovo, Vardarski Rid near Gevgelija.
Fortresses: Kale Fortress in Skopje, Tsar Samoil’s Fortress and Gradiste Fortress near Ohrid, Towers of Marko near Prilep, Ottoman Fortress above Tetovo, Vinica Fortress above Vinica, Isar Fortress in Stip, Tsar’s Towers at Strumica, Kale ruins near Veles and Castle at the Pcinja River between Skopje and Veles.
The ancient observatories Kokino near Kumanovo and Cocev Kamen (Tsotse’s Stone) near Kratovo.
The natural rarity The Stone Dolls near Kratovo and the Volcano Duvalo near Ohrid.
Caves: Vrelo Cave at Lake Matka, Bela Voda Cave near Demir Kapija, Kup Cave and Ajducka Cave near Stip, Pesna Cave and ruins of a fortress near Prilep and the Jaorec Cave near Velmej.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,332 Reviews
- 5,527 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 102 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Cheap place to stay in..."
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Skopje tips
- Wrote a Review Monumental bridges route in the Amsterdam Forest about Amsterdamse Bos in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monumental bridges route in the Amsterdam Forest"
- updated a Isla de Tenerife Travel Page "Hiking in Tenerife"
- Pijlmans and paddington28 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Hiking in Macedonia and much more!"
- Uploaded a Video to Isla de Tenerife
VideosSee All Videos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos