"The Cradle of European Civilisation!" Lepenski Vir by KonstantinII
Lepenski Vir Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 37 photos
Lepenski Vir is a Mesolithic site on the banks of the Danube in Serbia, close to the Iron Gates gorge.
It was first occupied around 6000 BC and based around a fishing community. Archaeological evidence shows that around 100 people lived in trapezoidal timber structures somewhere between tents and true houses. A single larger 'house' in the centre may imply some form of social stratification.
Artefacts found at the site include carved stone heads with piscine features which may represent some kind of fish god.
The site was later occupied by a Neolithic settlement.
Fish-like human sculptures are World wide known.
The museum has an obvious lack of financial support of a state that had much bigger problems, but the people that work there are skilled and take great care to preserv the findings and the museum building.
For its methodically planned architecture and for its diverse sculptures. In the latter, the site has suddenly assumed an importance for which the epithet 'unique' might be acceptable. 'Lepenski Vir art' enters the world's art-history substantially in its own right and without convincing parentage.
KonstantinII's Related Pages
Lepenski Vir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lepenski Vir 6 500 to 4 500 BC"
- "The Lepenski Vir Site"
- "Lepenski Vir"
- "The Cradle of European Civilisation!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lepenski Vir
- Hotels in Lepenski Vir
- Transportation in Lepenski Vir
- Warnings and Dangers in Lepenski Vir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lepenski Vir
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Lepenski Vir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lepenski Vir
Photos in Lepenski VirSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Belgrade Intro, 50 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Herceg-Novi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopelos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Lovcen Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Republic of Serbia Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pozarevac Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Golubac Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos