"Jackson, GA" Jackson by tatyanap
Jackson Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 11 photos
I worked in Jackson for two years at Henderson Middle School, taught Keyboarding and Russian.
Honestly, there isn't much to see or do in Jackson unless you have someone to see in the state prison.
However, there are some nice historic buildings that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Butts County Courthouse, Carmichael House, Grier House, Idlewilde or Rastello House, and Indian Springs Hotel.
Also, Indian Springs State Park is one of the best in Georgia.
Butts County was created by the General Assembly on Dec. 24, 1825 from portions of Henry and Monroe counties (Ga. Laws 1825, p. 63). Georgia's 70th county was named for Capt. Samuel Butts, a member of the Georgia Militia killed in battle against the Creek Indians during the War of 1812.
Pursuant to the act Dec. 24, 1825 act creating Butts County, the inferior court selected a site and purchased land in 1826 for laying out of a county seat. That site was ratified by the General Assembly by an act of Dec. 26, 1826, with the legislature incorporating the land purchased by the inferior court as the new town of Jackson (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 177). The town was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was a hero in Georgia because of his campaigns against the Creeks, and his victory over British forces at the Battle of New Orleans.
- Pros:Interesting place to visit for a day.
- Cons:Boring place for living.
- In a nutshell:Keep your visit short!
Indian Springs is thought to be the oldest state park in the nation. It was acquired by the state in 1825 and became an... more travel advice
This postcard, printed in Germany, bears an Aug. 20, 1910 postmark from Jackson, Ga. The courthouse was completed in... more travel advice
tatyanap's Related Pages
Jackson Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Jackson
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Jackson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jackson
Photos in JacksonSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Charleston Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos
- Bainbridge Intro, 18 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daytona Beach Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Moscow Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Key West Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Warm Springs Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Jacksonville Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Charlotte Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Jackson hotel reviews
- Plantation Inn & Suites Jackson
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2012