"Zion National Park" Zion National Park by Combinedefx
Zion National Park Travel Guide: 572 reviews and 1,249 photos
(Please check out the travelogues) From the Zion Highway entrance we were held in awe and wonder at our surroundings. Dwarfed by the behemoths of rock engulfing us, we drove down the serpentine roadway that kept us literally on the edge of the canyon walls. Zion is an amazing place. We were very satisfied to find many options in trail types and geological formations. The park does a great job of taking care of their visitors and informing everyone about the diversity and history of this land. We stayed for one week and added other destinations, keeping Watchman campground as home base. Highly recommended!
Checkerboard Mesa is a sight to behold. A lithified sand dune! (more images in Must Sees) It's huge and gorgeous, a trait common in the park. It's lines are due to the particular weathering it underwent during lithification. Water travelled in both directions creating a checkered pattern in the sandstone.
Be prepared for quite a thrilling experience. Just be prepared! This popular trek is completely dependent on Mother Nature. Flash floods are very common and are determined by weather upstream, unnoticable to the park-goers. After arriving, we found out that Fall is a rainy/flash flood season. We did a lot of homework but somehow missed this bit of handy info. Regardless of your planning, expect the unexpected. We were lucky to have stayed for so long. There was a flash flood two to three times during our stay and we were lucky to have been able to go. The water level the night before was ten times higher than shown in this picture. Don't let the apparent shallow, calm scene here fool you. The current was moving right along and the deepest areas that day were chest high when there was no other viable route to take. We hiked almost to the very end, missing the only turn-off and apparently 'most stunning' views. (I was very peeved at this since it was not clearly stated to take the ONLY turn in the slot canyon-somehow I felt that turning off the main route would not be a good idea) It was all great, and tiring. Don't be macho and go barefoot, without a walking stick, etc. I actually got stuck in QUICKSAND!! Scary ***. My knee actually bruised from the pressure of being pulled out. My trusty boots actually stayed on my feet. This was incredibly shocking and I was using my stick as a probe, knowing that unstable footing and soil were my only options anyway. Breathtaking sights all the way. I could have stayed longer to photograph so much. We were out there for 8 hours already and the afternoon storms were coming in as scheduled this time of year. An instinctual 'flee now' came over me (Cherie) especially. On our hasty retreat back (and with the current) we once heard a plane which we thought was thunder. We moved faster. At the very end, thunder, rain, lightning, an incredible storm. One incredible day.
- Pros:Terrific Landscape
- Cons:Traffic on Zion highway
- In a nutshell:Magnificient lands
There are so many hidden treasures out there. Our National Parks offer so much and the areas surrounding them, while... more travel advice
The towering walls of this strip are enclosing when on the inside of the canyons. Views from various distances help keep... more travel advice
Written Jul 7, 2004
Photo collections along the Mount Carmel Highway
Written Feb 1, 2004
Combinedefx's Related Pages
Zion National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Zion National Park Page"
- "Getting High in Zion"
- "Zion National Park, One of My Favorites"
- "Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP"
- "Zion National Park"
- "Zion, such a wonderful place"
- "Zion National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zion National Park
- Hotels in Zion National Park
- Transportation in Zion National Park
- Nightlife in Zion National Park
- Restaurants in Zion National Park
- Shopping in Zion National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Zion National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zion National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Zion National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zion National Park
- Wrote a Review Explore areas around our Parks as well in Zion National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Explore areas around our Parks as well"
- updated a Zion National Park Travelogue "Photo collections along the Mount Carmel Highway"
- Posted in Travel Utah Forum "Re: travelling Moab to Bryce..."
Photos in Zion National ParkSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Zion National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Everglades National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Cedar Breaks National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Devils Den State Park 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos