"1,000 year civilization of Angkor" Khett Siem Reab by juliewong
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide: 4,330 reviews and 12,640 photos
Facts about Siem Reap
Population: Some 798,000
Currency: Riel (US$ 1 = app. 4000 riels as of 2006)
Ethnic groups: Majority Khmer
Languages: Khmer (English and French widely spoken in tourist areas)
Religion : Buddhism
Climate: Four seasons (best time to go is between Nov & Feb with cool weather)
Airport departure tax: US$ 25
History of the Angkorian era began around 800 B.C. under the reign of King Jayavarman II, a reputed Khmer prince who returned to Cambodia after a long period of seclusion in the royal court of Java.
During King Jayavarman II's ruling, linga-cult was the epitome of the Angkorian universal kingship, religion and arts where till today, most of the temples around Angkor are filled with stone lingas (lingas are sacred carved stones worshipped by Khmer people).
The hot and wet season is in July where cloudy skies and heavy downpours are expected, sometimes in the morning or late afternoon. It was raining cats and dogs the moment I touched down the airport. The airport was clean with a brand new look, having found out that it had undergone a new facelift two weeks ago.
My guide came and pick my group and sent us to our guest house. After a while, we discussed our travel plans for the following days with the guide and tried haggling for a favourable price with him.
Of the dozens of temples and places in Siem Reap, I included these "must sees" in my itinerary -
- Angkor Wat (sunrise or sunset)
- the Bayon
- Angkor Thom
- Ta Phrom
- Bantay Srei
- Kbal Spean (river of a 1,000 lingas)
- Tonle Sap (boat trip)
- Old market
- Pros:Awesome ruins, vast space, good food and cheap biere
- Cons:Pushy street peddlars, hygene challenged and hot & humid
There is a place called Kbal Spean that requires some mini trekking to a waterfall and river with water running through... more travel advice
Certain alleys around the old market were quite dark when night falls. It can be dangerous for a woman to walk alone... more travel advice
juliewong's Related Pages
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Diva's Guide to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Keeweechic's Siem Reap"
- "Amazing Ankor Wat"
- "Los templos de Angkor- Angkor temples"
- "Old World Charm of Siem Reap"
- "In Angkor and around"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Siem Reab
- Hotels in Khett Siem Reab
- Transportation in Khett Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Khett Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Khett Siem Reab
- Shopping in Khett Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Siem Reab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khett Siem Reab
- 13 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Siem Reab
Photos in Khett Siem ReabSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Hanoi Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Versailles Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ko Lipe Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Nepal Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Songkhla Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue