"Miär liäbed Züri... - We love Zurich" Zürich by Carino
Zürich Travel Guide: 1,898 reviews and 5,735 photos
Zurich is a rather small city on the Lake of Zurich. Even though you can not compare Zurich's population with London or Paris, Zurich has everything on offer that you can imagine: nice Nature, great Nightlife, big Food Scene, nice Architecture and History.
Zurich is a great city for tourist. Hotels are prepared for visitors from all over the world and get special training for guests from specific countries. Isn't that nice? Tailormade service for Indian, Chineses and so on.
Also all the major sights are in walking distance and there is no need to take the efficient (but expensive) public transportation. Yet, if you plan to go to other places (Clubs, Restaurants, Museums) within the city, enjoy a tram ride in this beautiful city. Before I strongly suggest to check with the tourism office for the Zurich Card and other discount passes. You can save a lot of money.
Zurich is well known internationally for the Streetparade, a huge techno parade, which takes place once a year in August. The parade attracts more than a million visitors!
Also, every three years Zurich is celebrating itself with the Zürich Fäscht and an immense fire work. 6. to 8. July 2007 is the next date. If you can't make it this year, see you all in 2010. The city expects 2 million spectators!
Another yearly (just local) event is called Sechseläuten, which takes place every third monday in April. During this event, an artificial snow man (Böögg) is burned and the faster his head (filled with explosives) bursts, the sooner summer is coming. This traditional event has a long history, already in 18th century, a Böögg has been burned. There has been some (funny) incidents in the history of the event:
1921: A boy burned the Böögg before the event - a communistic act?
1993: The Böögg felt from the stack of wood - helpers threw the head back into the fire....
2006: The Böögg has been stolen and a replacement was needed
During Sechseläuten you can see the beautiful historic costums of the crafts.
The day before, a procession with children is taking place.
Make sure that you can catch one of these events. These are must sees in Zurich.
- Pros:Great city for tourists and locals
- Cons:A bit expensive....
- In a nutshell:The slogan "little big city" says it all
I spent a week at Hotel Schweizerhof during a Businesstrip. I assume that we got the smallest rooms in the whole hotel,... more travel advice
Two brothers from Zurich once came up with the idea of making bags out of old truck tarpaulins. And their idea brought... more travel advice
- Need a haircut?
- Zurich Zoo
- See All Night Lounge
- See All Rush Hour
- See All Luggage
Carino's Related Pages
Zürich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Zürich - my hometown"
- "My Züri Page"
- "Zurich - Metropolis between lakes and mountains"
- "The world's capital of understatement"
- "ZURICH OR DAVOS?"
- "Opera and cycling in Zürich"
- "Miär liäbed Züri... - We love Zurich"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zürich
- Hotels in Zürich
- Transportation in Zürich
- Nightlife in Zürich
- Restaurants in Zürich
- Shopping in Zürich
- Warnings and Dangers in Zürich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zürich
- 69 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Zürich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zürich
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 75 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 75 reviews, 54 photos
- Zürich Intro, 69 reviews, 53 photos
- Dublin Intro, 32 reviews, 31 photos
- Budapest 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jaisalmer Intro, 20 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju-do Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos