"An old town set in a new town" Lijiang by SPW
Lijiang Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,889 photos
In we drove through the countryside and modern city to our hotel, right at the entrance to the Old Town of Lijiang: it was like driving into a fairy tale.
There was a steram running past the hotel and a number of two storey timber buildings opposite, all with restaurants and shops opening on to a pedestrian way.
Our room looked out over the town to the surrounding mountains, and we watched in wonder as the light changed as the sun went down.
As evening fell, we ventured out into the Old Town.
Although very commercial, it is a charming town and the people are delightful, although there are now many Han Chinese taking over businesses from the Naxi ethnic minority.
The little streams running through the town mean that there are lots of bridges to cross to get to different streets and to enter some businesses.
The Naxi women sell candles to float down the streams while making a wish (and gather up the little trays at the other end, recycling in action)
Crowds of tourists, mainly Chinese, colour, noise from the night clubs and the singing competition, dancing, shops....great fun.
By day, the Old Town was still geared to tourism, from men offering the opportunity to dress as tribesmen and be photographed with ponies to the Naxi women dancing in the central square, but the charm remained.
- Pros:Charming, interesting Old Town
- Cons:Many tourists and threat to the Naxi culture
The trip to the mountain was only undertaken after we were warned of dangers because of the altitude for people with... more travel advice
Walking around the town gives an appreciation of its charm and glimpses of its culture. more travel advice
SPW's Related Pages
Lijiang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Looking for a Lost Shangri-la"
- "Vigi's Lijiang Page - Explore Old Town + Minority"
- "Old town, streams, lakes and mountains"
- "The place you can have a dream"
- "Lijiang - is it real?"
- "Lijiang - Vintage China"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lijiang
- Hotels in Lijiang
- Transportation in Lijiang
- Nightlife in Lijiang
- Restaurants in Lijiang
- Shopping in Lijiang
- Warnings and Dangers in Lijiang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lijiang
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lijiang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lijiang
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Printing travel guides"
- Commented on one of nepalgoods's Lijiang travel pages
- Wrote a Review Altitude sickness in Lijiang Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yulong Xueshan: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain"
- created a Lijiang Travel Page "An old town set in a new town"
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Penang Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xi'an Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Fan Si Pan Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lijiang Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Melaka Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Lucca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue