"Sapa: another world" Fan Si Pan by SPW
Fan Si Pan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
Colourful mountain tribes, incredible scenery, fresh cool air: these were the hopes we had when we embarked on our trip to Sapa.
But first there was the train. The soft sleeper was not exactly soft but we had had the sense to book the lower berths so were saved the indignity of climbing up and down, although returning we were unable to persuade the couple in occupation to surrender, but they grudgingly allowed my partner with 2 artificial hips to have one of the lower berths. Bottled water and a sweet bread roll were provided for the journey though sleeping tablets / alcohol might help with sleep as the train stopped and started going up. It might have done the same on the way back but we were too tired to notice.
Arriving at Lao Cai just before dawn broke over the mountains was amazing: mini buses everywhere and the beautiful light, then the procession up to Sapa. Valleys, tiered paddyfields, montain views and then the delays as vehicles were bogged, at one stage we had to get out and walk so the bus was able to get through the mud. Road works suggested this 'feature' might be deleted, though as men were breaking rocks with sledge hammers made the timing of this seem remote.
At last we reached the town of Sapa and the Cat Cat Hotel, up 120 steps to our room on a terrace overlooking the mountains. Every imaginable shade of green, little houses in the distance, the town climbing across the hillside to the left and a quaint brick chimney from the fireplace in the room below.
Breakfast was waiting for us at the little cafe a few steps up from our room and so we settled in for the next 3 nights.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, lovely people, simple existence
- Cons:Only seen briefly because of cloud
- In a nutshell:Another world
More of a problem than a danger, the hawkers are persistent. We found that we had to be both assertive, and good... more travel advice
A pleasant restaurant where wild boar and venison from the region were made into appetising meals. The owner's daughter... more travel advice
SPW's Related Pages
Fan Si Pan Travel Guide
- Hotels in Fan Si Pan
- Restaurants in Fan Si Pan
- Warnings and Dangers in Fan Si Pan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fan Si Pan
- 4 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Fan Si Pan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fan Si Pan
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Penang Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xi'an Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Fan Si Pan Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lijiang Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Melaka Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lucca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue