Riga Region Local Custom Tips by in4ik Top 5 Page for this destination
Riga Region Local Customs: 27 reviews and 17 photos
1. You see three cars in front of you, and you think you are in the traffic jam.
2. You are happy that underground parking houses are being built, but you never park your car there.
3. You have your umbrella with you during all the year round.
4. You speak min 3 languages.
5. You are not surprised by phrases "horibly cool or ungly beautiful", you actually understand what they are about.
6. You regulary meet members of the Parliament and automatically say hi.
7. You saw Raimonds Pauls in slippers and without security guards.
8. You are surprised if your new acquaintant does not have a cell phone.
9. Every year in the end of june you go with your friends to countryside to drink beer with shashlik.
10. You are used to spend long time abroad on expalining where Latvia is located.
11. You are very surprised if a foreigner knows where Latvia is situated and knows its capital city!
12. You are proud that Lat is the most expensive currency in Europe.
13. Phrase "go to the seaside" means 15-20 min drive for you.
14. You sincerely consider yourself an European. if not Western, so at least the Northern, but never Eastern.
15. You are not surprised at grammar mistakes in Russian on big commercial posters.
16. You are used to watch movies in English, video in Russian, weather forecast in Latvian.
17. You are used more to Scandinavians than to Russians.
p.s. the ones in bold ARE SO MUCH TRUE :]
In ancient times, when Riga had still not been built, a very large man named Big Kristaps carried people across the Daugava River on his back, letting them off at the spot where Riga now stands. Kristaps had built himself a hut nearby on the right bank of the river.
One night he awoke to the sound of a child crying on the left bank of the river. He waded over, picked up the mournful babe and began carrying him back across to his huy. The child suddenly became very heavy mid-stream, and it was only with the greatest of efforts that Kristaps made it to shore.
With his las ounce of strength, Kristaps laid the child in his hut and dropped off into an exhausted slumber. In the morning he awoke to discover that the child had transformed into a coffer filled with gold. Kristaps was a humble man and did not spend a penny of this treasure until his dying day. After his death the money was spent to build Riga on the spot where his hut had once stood.
At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, the citizens of Riga sculpted a replica of Big Kristaps from a 2.36 metre long pine log and placed it on the shore of the Daugava River. The sculpture now is at the Museum of Riga History and Navigation, but there is a new copy of Big Kristaps placed in a glass hut at the Daugava River.
Karums - nobody can really explain what Karums is. It tastes similar to cheese cake, however, Latvian don't consider it to be a dessert. It's small (45 g), sold almost in any food store in milk product section. We eat it for breakfast or snack. You can get vanilla Karums, chokolate Karums, Karums with nuts, citron Karums, etc... It is the most popular product in Latvia according to official market surveys.
Caraway cheese , or any other kind of cheese. We simply love cheese, and it is very different from typical French or Swiss cheeses.
Black bread - just get into a supermarket and find bread section. There are tens of sorts of black bread - sweet, semi-sweet, not sweet, with corn, with caraway (you see, we like caraway). I think we have the best bread in the world!
Latvian beer -We are very proud of our local beer [as all Lithuanians and Czechs are :) ].
More Reviews (28)
in4ik's Related Pages
Riga Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riga-a well kept secret"
- "Riga is a small Paris"
- "My Home Town"
- "vairab's new Riga Page"
- "My country Latvia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga Region
- Hotels in Riga Region
- Transportation in Riga Region
- Nightlife in Riga Region
- Restaurants in Riga Region
- Shopping in Riga Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga Region
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Riga Region
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Riga Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga Region
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: TRAVELLING TO YOSEMITE FROM..."
- Commented on one of TomTomi's Riga Region travel pages
- updated a Riga Region Travel Page "My Home Town"
- Wrote a Review You've lived in Riga for too long, if... [jokes] in Riga Region Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Art Nouveau streets of Riga"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
- Siena Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhyolite Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos