Riga Region Favorite Tips by in4ik Top 5 Page for this destination
Riga Region Favorites: 48 reviews and 36 photos
Favorite thing: Aalborg (Denmark)
Favorite thing: As a Liv Village, Riga exists since the 11th century.
1198 For the first time the name of Riga was mentioned in the chronicles.
1201 Bishop Albert, the Lord of the Bremen's Town Hall, founded Riga as a medieval town.
1211 The first school - Dom School - was founded in Riga.
1225-1226 The Riga Town Council was established. The coat of arms of Riga was created.
1282 Riga joined the Hanseatic League.
1297-1330 The war between the Livonian Order and the Town of Riga.
1521-1524 The start of the Reformation in Latvia. Riga became a Lutheran town.
1524 The first public library was founded.
1558-1583 The Livonian War. As a result, Riga was incorporated into the Polish-Lithuanian state.
1561-1581 Riga obtained the status of a free town.
1581 Riga swore loyalty to Stephan Batory, the King of Poland and Lithuania.
1584-1589 As a result of the introduction of the Gregorian Calendar, "Calendar Unrests" broke out and were used by the Guilds and the Town Council to fight for the dominance in the city.
1588 The first printing house - the Mollin printing house - was opened in Riga.
1600-1629 The Polish - Swedish War.
1621 Riga was taken over by Sweden.
1656-1661 The Russian - Swedish War; Riga was besieged by the army of the Russian tzar Aleksey.
1700-1721 The Great Northern War; Riga was besieged by the Saxonian -Russian forces.
1710 Riga was conquered by the Russian tsar Peter the Great.
1773 The first museum - the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation - was opened.
1782 The first public theatre was opened in Riga.
1812 The Napoleon's army approached Riga and Riga's suburbs were burnt down; preconditions for the present street plan and construction were created.
1857-1863 The dismantling of the Riga's fortification walls started.
1868 The foundation of the Riga's Latvian Society. The period of the Latvian national awakening.
Fondest memory: 1873 The first Latvia's Song Festival.
2nd half of the 19th century Riga - one of the most important cities in Russia, with flourishing industry and trade.
1901 Riga's 700th anniversary.
1914 Beginning of World War I.
1915 Industrial enterprises were evacuated from Riga as the front line approached.
18.11.1918 The independent State of Latvia was proclaimed in Riga.
11.11.1919 The Bermondt troops were defeated near Riga.
1920-1921 The peace treaty was signed between Latvia and Soviet Russia. Latvia was recognized de jure by Western powers.
1920-1940 Riga became the Latvia's administrative, cultural, industrial, trade and educational centre.
17.06.1940 Riga was occupied by the Soviet Army and the Soviet regime was established.
14.06.1941 The 1st mass deportation of the Latvian population to Siberia in Russia.
01.07.1941 Riga was occupied by the German troops.
13.10.1944 Riga was recaptured by the Soviet troops and the Soviet regime was re-established.
1949 The 2nd mass deportation of the Latvian population.
1988 The start of the 3rd national awakening to restore the independence of Latvia.
04.05.1990 The Declaration "On the Restoration of the Independence of Latvia" was adopted.
21.08.1991 Latvia declared itself an independent democratic state.
2001 The 800th anniversary of Riga.
Favorite thing: Interactive map of Latvia with zoom in up to the street view. You can search not only by a street name, but also by name of place you would like to go. I use it even as a local!
More Reviews (28)
- See All You've lived in Riga for too long, if......
- See All Art Nouveau streets of Riga
- See All Bar in car parts' shop
in4ik's Related Pages
Riga Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riga-a well kept secret"
- "Riga is a small Paris"
- "My Home Town"
- "vairab's new Riga Page"
- "My country Latvia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga Region
- Hotels in Riga Region
- Transportation in Riga Region
- Nightlife in Riga Region
- Restaurants in Riga Region
- Shopping in Riga Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga Region
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rio de Janeiro
- Saint Pete Beach Hotels
- Heceta Beach Hotels
- Tagaytay City
- Paraguay Hotels
- Williamsburg Village
- Monterey Hotels
- Johnson Shut-Ins State Park Hotels
- Sanibel Island
- Madrid Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Salt Lake City Hotels
Badges & Stats in Riga Region
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Riga Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga Region
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: TRAVELLING TO YOSEMITE FROM..."
- Commented on one of TomTomi's Riga Region travel pages
- updated a Riga Region Travel Page "My Home Town"
- Wrote a Review You've lived in Riga for too long, if... [jokes] in Riga Region Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Art Nouveau streets of Riga"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
- Siena Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhyolite Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos