"New York, first steps" New York City by shirez

New York City Travel Guide: 15,768 reviews and 31,642 photos

How to start..

I have to tell a few things before I give my tips.
Im from a 2million residents` capital, and have traveled on my own a few times already in my life.
Have been also to NYC once, but I felt the same also.
I was a bit scared to go on a walk, because I felt really uncomfortable that it is sooo huge and also that I had no idea how the street names and numbers work.
Here is my 50 cents (opinion)> Avenues are crossing Manhattan from North thru South, and streets are crossing from West thru East. Most of the times the crossing helps you to find where you go, also the letter `E`, `W`, `N`, `S` indicates which part you should look for of the street. It is easier than it looks like on the map.
The area of Times Square is safe but very crowdy, either you bomp into people coming into your direction, or you are trying to pass round the crowds paddling in front of you. Here in the US I have a lot of problem measuring distances and even timing. I cant really feel how long it takes for eg from Times Square to Mexx, 5th Ave. I was always late. So if you havent been in the US before, and you are walking, consider this too. However riding the subway is more easy than you would think....

• Last visit to New York City: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2006

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM

New York, a huge complicated urban sprawl with tons and tons of things to do and see, a "Disneyland" for tourists...but I lived there for a short time and would not do it again..for me the small town ^O^
    Martin

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

a wonderful city and I love it

• Johnny_CA's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 7:51 PM

oh i see, u only had a glimpse of paris 'that's hot' hilton. u did the right thing, why dance in a place with her little dog poopin on stuff! :-)

shirez Visits Here Frequently!

shirez

“good girls go to heaven, brighellas go to SZIGET!”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City