"Where the earth spills fire..." Goma by Maggus
Goma Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 38 photos
Until the recent eruption in 2002 Goma was a comparably wealthy town on the north-eastern shore of Lake Kivu at the border to Gisenyi/Rwanda. Former President Mobutu had his residence in this neighbourhood.
Most sheds which resemble scandinavian/canadian style in the background have been set up by the UNHCR. This impression is quite striking.
The lava flood increased the ground level by approx. 2-3 Metres. Most basements were destroyed leaving whole blocks in the city centre defunct.
Near the shore of Lake Kivu where the lava entered the water one can see the remnants of the fromer presidents estate. Only the walls of the gate (also made of volcanic stones) were spared.
- Pros:Amazing contrast between nature and city. One can feel that this is a geophysical hotspot.
- Cons:Misery and poverty of the locals, police hassle and rip-off
- In a nutshell:Come with one of the NGO, which have a laisser-passer at each checkpoints or have a local friend to accompany you
This is another view from the restaurant's lawn featured under the recent category. Lake Kivu is part of the great... more travel advice
Maggus' Related Pages
Goma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A volcano changed Goma and the life of thousands"
- "GOMA AFTER NYIRAGONGO"
- "Lava Lava Everywhere"
- "Where the earth spills fire..."
- "A Day in Eastern Congo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goma
- Hotels in Goma
- Transportation in Goma
- Restaurants in Goma
- Shopping in Goma
- Warnings and Dangers in Goma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goma
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Goma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goma
Photos in GomaSee All Photos (5)
- Rwanda Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goma Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Sozopol Intro, 1 photo
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Goma hotel reviews
- Hotel Ihusi
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2013