"Chitral, a Pearl in Hindukush" Top 5 Page for this destination Chitral by imranthetrekker
Chitral Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 174 photos
Chitral, located in the far reaches of Pakistan, in the north western borders, in the famous mountain ranges of Hindukush and Hinduraj, close to Afghanistan, Tajikistan through Pamirs.
Lagend has it that once it was the abode of Ginis and Fairies when there were no human settlements present in the region and still the locals perceive that the Famous Peak of Hindukush, Terichmir 7778, is a castle of fairies.
Almost at 1500 m, Chitral town above sea level, could be approached from Peshawar, 365 Km, by plane (45 Minutes) and by road , 10 to 10 hrs over Lowari Pass 3200 m, as well as Gilgit by road through Shandoor Pass 3800, 425 Km, 14 to 16 hrs.
It is open to the rest of Pakistan almost 6, 7 months of a year due to its difficult accessibility, in the presence of high mountains and passes round the region.
In winters, it is almost disconnected from Pakistan due to excessive snow on the high passes and the only option to reach other parts of Pakistan are flights, which are subject to weather.
Chronicle tells little about its olden days, 2nd A.D Chitral was under the rule of a Buddhist ruler Jai Paul, then the middle period is perceived to be ruled by Kalash rulers, Rajawai, Bazik and Bula singh, but as a result of a blood shed fight Kalash suffering numerous casualties surrendered to the Romboor, Bamborate, Birir and Jinjirit (present Kalash valleys in 14th A.D by Shah Nadir Rais, the ruler of Rais Dynasty.
Then the Adamzadas came to throne and later on it is known as Katoor Dynasty and still they are visible in shape of Royal family of Chitral.
Locals are hospitable and warm welkcoming and they respect the guests and when some stranger comes over there he is considered a guest.
Enjoy The marvels of Pakistan,
Bonjour from Peshawar, Simply, you'd need a 4x4, over Shandoor pass 3800 m and Khunjerab pass 4800 m. Toyota Land... more travel advice
Near the Shahi Mosque of Chitral on the right bank of the river, stranding the majestic Chitral fort, which has been... more travel advice
imranthetrekker's Related Pages
Chitral Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitral, a Pearl in Hindukush"
- "Chitral Festival"
- "The Chitral Valleys"
- "Visiting the Kalash Valleys"
- "A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush"
- "Visiting the Kalash"
- "Chitral, Gateway to Kalash Valleys"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chitral
- Hotels in Chitral
- Transportation in Chitral
- Nightlife in Chitral
- Restaurants in Chitral
- Shopping in Chitral
- Warnings and Dangers in Chitral
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chitral
- 21 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Chitral?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chitral
- Posted in Travel Naran Forum "Re: Traveling - February 2016"
- Commented on one of imranthetrekker's Chitral tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drinking The Tap Water"
- updated a Chitral Travel Page "Chitral, a Pearl in Hindukush"
- Wrote a Review Traveling across Shandoor and Khunjerab passes about By Jeep in Chitral Transportation
Photos in ChitralSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 116 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chitral Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Islamabad 12 reviews, 21 photos
- Lahore 19 reviews, 6 photos
- Gilgit 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Naran 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Sind 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Federally Administered Tribal Areas 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Peshawar 3 reviews, 5 photos