Chiang Mai Things to Do Tips by pattayaraj
Chiang Mai Things to Do: 686 reviews and 1,525 photos
Ton Kwen temple
This Temple was built in 1856 AD.in the reign of King Kawilorot Suriyawong of Chiang Mai . Nowaday this temple stands as an example of Lanna architecture with full composition. The important buildings are : Viharn in Chiang Mai style.Inside decorated with gold gilded and paingting ,the gallery or Sala Baat surrounded the viharn on 3 sides except front area and the 4 porched pavilion is an open wood structure represented as local construction.
Address: Moo4 Hang Dong , Chiang Mai
Directions: 15 km outside Chiang Mai on route 108.
The former name of this temple is Muang Kham.The main viharn was built in the reign of King Rama V and renovated on 2468 B.E.Inside the viharn decorated with mural painting by Tai Yai tribe,depicted about Buddha life and Jataka in 10 parts. Some shots presents the lifestyle of Tai Yai culture,such as textile and cloths. To visit this temple you can take public bus or Song Teaw bus in white colour (on route Chiang Mai- San Kampang) . Begin at Tonlamyai market. Bus run from 6.00-19.00 hrs. Ticket around 10-15 B.
Address: Chiang Mai -San Kampang Rd.
Directions: Take route no. 1014 (Chiang Mai -San Kampang ) to Ban Sala about 2 kms. Then turn left and go straight about 300 metres.
This ruin temple located in Wieng Kum Kam Ancient city. This temple still left some buildings which we can imagine how the temple look like in the past. It 's a good example of Wieng Kum Kam art.
Chedi Leam temple
The ancient city ' Wieng Kum Kam" . The city before Chiangmai where built by King Meng Rai in 1829 BE. This city 've ever destroyed by a big flood and all the ruins was under the soil.After the Fine Art Department's excavation,they found some ruins that 's worth for seeing and renovated all the ruins. To visit this ancient city, bicycle 's the best to discover all around. I 've ever walked but it didn't work , cuase I cannot see all. Bicycle for rent 's available at the Sub-district office inside this city. Or you can ride an elephant for sightseeing in this city also.
Address: Tha Wang Tan Sub-district , Saraphee District
Directions: Outside Chiang Mai, about 10-15 min. by bus.
This temple is one important temple in Chiang Mai and stands as the most sacred Chedi in Chaing Mai. This temple was built in 1962 B.E. in the reign of King Kue Na,the 6th King of Meng Rai royalty. The chedi which built in the same time housed the great relic of Buddha. At first, this temple didn't have monks,then in 2081-2100 B.E. there was a monk from Lumphun came to stay here and built a step to the temple which later changed to a stairway with Naga statue on both sides. In 2348 B.E. King Kawila renovated the chedi and built 2 Viharns. he also started the walking pilgrimage tradition from the foothill to temple on Vesak day. In 2478 B.E. Kru Ba Srivijai who was one important monk in Chiang Mai induced local to donate money for a road contruction to temple. As one important monk,so you can see his statue on the foothill.
The must see things in this temple 're:
- Naga stairway with 306 steps.
- The main Chedi called Phra That Doi Suthep where housed the great relic of Buddha. Note that this chedi prohibits for women to walk inside the fence,it 's local belief.
From this temple,you can see a whole area of Chiang Mai city and some surrounded beautiful scenery.
Address: On Doi Suthep mountain.
Directions: About 20 Kms. from city center.
Former name is Wat Weruwan Kutao. Ku means Chedi and Tao means Water Melon. This name found in Yonok chronicle described about one monk who ordianed here. From legend said about the chedi which built by Burmese artisan and housed the relic of Sawathee King ,Burmese King's son when he thorned over Chiang Mai.The chedi assumed to be built in 2146 BE.The style of chedi is very different from others chedis .It looks like 5 balls stands on a vertical line and decorated with glazed ware.
Address: Chang Phuek Rd. Sri Phum Sub-district. Muang
U Mong temple is one place where suite to practice of transcendental merditation. From the legend described about King Meng Rai was built this temple and he invited an important monk from Sri Lanka to stayed here. In 1910 ,King Kue Na renovated this temple and built a tunnel under small hill in temple area.This tunnel was for meditation. In this tunnel decorated with mural paintings and housed Buddha images.On the hill located the chedi which have an influence of Burmese style. On temple ground ,there 're some objects like head of Buddha images ,Naga heads and stuccos. This temple also open a Dhamma and Lanna dialect course.
Address: Suthep Sub-district,Muang
Also called Bupparam temple,built in 1914 BE. by King Kue Na of Lanna Kingdom. In 1916 he built chedi for housed the great relic of Buddha and invited Phra Sumana Thera who was an important monk of Lanka Sect in Sukhothai to stayed in this temple.That was the first time of Lanka Sect in Chaing Mai. In an area of this temple also donated as Lanna Royal Tomb for Na Chiang Mai family. Some interesting things in this temple are: A group of Chedi with the main Chedi housed the great relic of Buddha, Viharn Luang or big ordination hall on the East of Chedi.This building used to be a pavilion of King Muang Kaew and renovated by Kru Ba Srivijai who was one important monk in Chaing Mai.
Address: Suthep Rd.Suthep Sub-district Muang
Directions: Near Kao Tue temple
One Burmese style temple in Chiang Mai city area. The buildings in this temple was built by mixed style of Lanna (Northern Thailand) art,Burmese art and European art. The temple was built on the reign of Phya San Phu and renovated again by Luang Yon Karn Pijit ,the Burmese who came to work in Chaing Mai. There 're some interesting buildings such as : The main Chedi which 's Burmese style. On the base of Chedi situated Singhas or lions at four corners ,the Viharn where adjusted from the old palace of King Kaviloros Suriyavongsa and the abbot residence in Colonial Style.
Address: Chang Moi Tad Mai Rd.
One temple in Chiang Mai where built in Burmese style and still have so many Burmese architecture style inside.
More Reviews (13)
- See All Lanna traditional food: Kuntoke
- See All Middle rate in the city center
- See All Sunday evening in Chiang Mai
- Lanna temple
pattayaraj's Related Pages
Chiang Mai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chiang Mai"
- "VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI"
- "Chiang Mai Trip 2005: Wed 4th May - Sun 8th May"
- "Chiang Mai"
- "Jungle Trek and Elephant Ride in Chiang Mai"
- "Chiang Mai - Great Base for Trekking"
- "C H I A N G M A I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Mai
- Hotels in Chiang Mai
- Transportation in Chiang Mai
- Nightlife in Chiang Mai
- Restaurants in Chiang Mai
- Shopping in Chiang Mai
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Mai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai
- 40 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Chiang Mai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Mai
- Posted in Travel Kuala Lumpur Forum "Re: Hotel recommendation - KL..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bouk Kok Luang temple"
- created a Chiang Mai Travelogue "North trip with students"
- Wrote a Review Stairway leading to Phra That Doi Suthep about Wat Phra That Doi Suthep - Buddhist Temple in Chiang Mai Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 64 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 52 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nakhon Ratchasima Intro, 41 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayuthaya Intro, 47 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phetchaburi Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khon Kaen Intro, 32 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 17 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (144)
Latest Chiang Mai hotel reviews
- Rama House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- North Star Guest House
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 22, 2013
- Top North Guest House
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- The Britannia
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Manathai Village
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Ban Sabai Village Resort & Spa
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Le Meridien Chiang Mai
- 634 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Star Hotel Chiang Mai
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Top North Hotel Chiang Mai
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Eagle House No. 2
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Viangbua Mansion Hotel
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 5, 2013
- Eurasia Chiang Mai Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- BP Chiang Mai City Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Long Neck Women- 23 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Wat Phra That Doi Suthep - Buddhist Temple- 65 Reviews, 147 Photos
- Elephant Ride- 59 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Jungle Trek- 30 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Massages- 25 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Cooking School- 34 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Palaces and Temples- 27 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Bo Sang Umbrella Village- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Excursions- 63 Reviews, 151 Photos
- The Golden Triangle- 9 Reviews, 19 Photos
See All Chiang Mai Things to Do