"Sukhothai" Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai by pattayaraj

Sukhothai Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 745 photos

Sukhothai have a long history for more 700 years. The name "Sukhothai" means "the Dawn of Happiness". It counted as the beginning of Thai region from the evidence of Thai language incription made by King Ram Kamhaeng. This inscription told about the city,King and people. It seems a happiness time as the name of Kingdom.
For the location,Ancient Sukhothai situated in a highland near Yom river.In the same area have an alluvial plain where perfect for rice farming and all agricultures. This fertile land can refered to the incription on King Ram Kamhaeng which he told about the his land have fishes in rivers and rice in field.
For now,the new Sukhothai have moved to the lower part.The Sukhothai Ancient city have changed to Historical Park and recorded as the World Heritage in 1991.The area separated to 2 parts - the inner part and the outer part. The ruins which still found 're 126 places.
The plan of ancient city 's a square shape with 3 city moats surrounded and each directions have city gates.The main place located in the city center 's Mahathat temple where housed the great relic in Lotus Bud chedi. This style of chedi counted as the symbol of Sukhothai which cannot found in other periods.

I cannot count how much time I visited this city,I went there for field studies,trips and as lecturer on student trips.All trips had own emotion with this lovely city. For me,the funniest thing to do there was cycling around and visiting temples. Though , I 've been there so many times, I still feel to discovery more and more temples there.

• Pros:Simple
  • Cons:Sometimes hot and humid.
  • In a nutshell:Dream to be back the old day.
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Another great page

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 8:02 PM

The temples here are similar to the ones I saw in Prabanam, Java! I gotto to see this!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 10:45 PM

Hoping to visit in March. Is there a way to get to Krabi from here?

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 12:21 AM

We are looking forward to going to Sukhothai in January during our SE Asia trip! Thanks for the info!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 4:55 AM

Interesting pages on Sukhothai. Great pictures also.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 5:04 PM

I was just at Sukhothai for the first time in Apr 04. You are so right about not being able to see everything. It was very hot so almost no one was there. It made it even more peaceful. Wish I knew what you know before I went there, Thanks for sharing.

• swissrain's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2003 at 3:44 AM

Thanks, Pattayaraj, for your hint concerning hotels in Sukhothai. I will stay in such a place for reading and musing soon.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 5:07 AM

A place I'd really like to go to - lovely pictures with nice tips on your page, thanks!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 6:04 PM

Wow, such an interesting place! I can't wait to see more!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 10:22 PM

thank you! I wanted to visit Sukhothai when in Thailand, didn't have time so I chose Ayutthaya. Next time :-))

pattayaraj

“Work as Museum Lover, travel as Cultural Explorer”

Badges & Stats in Sukhothai

Have you been to Sukhothai?

Latest Activity in Sukhothai