"Sukhothai" Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai by pattayaraj
Sukhothai Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 753 photos
Sukhothai have a long history for more 700 years. The name "Sukhothai" means "the Dawn of Happiness". It counted as the beginning of Thai region from the evidence of Thai language incription made by King Ram Kamhaeng. This inscription told about the city,King and people. It seems a happiness time as the name of Kingdom.
For the location,Ancient Sukhothai situated in a highland near Yom river.In the same area have an alluvial plain where perfect for rice farming and all agricultures. This fertile land can refered to the incription on King Ram Kamhaeng which he told about the his land have fishes in rivers and rice in field.
For now,the new Sukhothai have moved to the lower part.The Sukhothai Ancient city have changed to Historical Park and recorded as the World Heritage in 1991.The area separated to 2 parts - the inner part and the outer part. The ruins which still found 're 126 places.
The plan of ancient city 's a square shape with 3 city moats surrounded and each directions have city gates.The main place located in the city center 's Mahathat temple where housed the great relic in Lotus Bud chedi. This style of chedi counted as the symbol of Sukhothai which cannot found in other periods.
I cannot count how much time I visited this city,I went there for field studies,trips and as lecturer on student trips.All trips had own emotion with this lovely city. For me,the funniest thing to do there was cycling around and visiting temples. Though , I 've been there so many times, I still feel to discovery more and more temples there.
- Cons:Sometimes hot and humid.
- In a nutshell:Dream to be back the old day.
Trapang Ngern means silver pond.This temple have some interesting buildings such as Lotus bud chedi where have Buddha... more travel advice
This monument used to be a shrine for Sukhothai city. It used to housed some god and goddess statues. All statues have... more travel advice
pattayaraj's Related Pages
Sukhothai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Temples and Monks"
- "The Ancient Capital"
- "Ancient ruins and quiet village"
- "The Dawn of happiness"
- "Sukotai: daytime"
- "First time in Sukhothai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sukhothai
- Hotels in Sukhothai
- Transportation in Sukhothai
- Nightlife in Sukhothai
- Restaurants in Sukhothai
- Shopping in Sukhothai
- Warnings and Dangers in Sukhothai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sukhothai
- 24 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Sukhothai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sukhothai
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 64 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 52 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nakhon Ratchasima Intro, 41 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayuthaya Intro, 47 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phetchaburi Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khon Kaen Intro, 32 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 17 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue