"Kengtung~my trip on a cloudy and rainy time" Kengtung by pattayaraj
Kengtung Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 148 photos
I visited Kengtung on a cloudy and rainy day though it was cool season. First,I crossed the border at Mae Sai to Tachilek. From Tachilek,it ' s about 168 kms. for Kengtung(3-4 hours). There're 2 main towns on the way : Tar Lay and Mong Phayak. The geography of this location 's full of high mountain alternated with plains,paddy fields and rivers.On the way,I also found some hill-tribe villages like Lahu,Akha and Tai Yai.It 's a land of mixed races and almost traditions 're still alive.
For Kengtung or Kyaingtong,it 's in Shan State of Myanmar. "Kengtung" means "Walled City of Tung" and refers to a mythological founder of this city. For Thai,we called "Chaing Tung". This small but important city surrounded by mountains and centered by Nawng Tung Lake. It 's a place of mixed tribe and style of art.From the location,it called "the city of 3 mountains,7 towns,9 ponds and 12 gates"
For mountains,Kengtung surrounded with 3 hills called Jom Kham,Jom Sak and Jom Mon.
In this area consisted of 7 Chiangs or towns: Chiang Ngam,Chiang Jan,Chiang Lan,Chiang Khum,Chiang In,Chiang Yuen and Chiang Jin.
9 Nawngs or ponds're Nawng Tung,Nawng Tong,Nawng Yea,Nawng Lang,Nawng Yang,Nawng Pong,Nawng Khe,Nawng Kai and Nawng Ta-chang.
And 12 gates 're Ngam Pha,Chiang Lan,Kai Hai,Yang Pherng,Nong Pha,Nong Lek,Yang Kham,Pha Yang,Pa Dang,Pa Maan,Bor Nam Oy and Jang Muang.For now,there 're only 2 remain gates, but the complete one 's just Pa Dang gate.
Kengtung city also surrounded with moat and earthen wall.Some parts 're still remains which can see at the Jom Sak peak.
Each communities in Kengtung have their own crafts such as Yang Gong village made a pottery or Jom Kham village made a knife.All crafts related to natural resources in this area.
Kengtung was closed to outsiders for many years and was opened to foreign visitors in 1993.At that time, the road was so rough and narrow. After Mong La city where located near China opened as Casino city,the road was developed and it made more convenience for travelling by road from Thailand or even China.
The suburb area of Kengtung,located so many villages of local tribes such as Tai Yai,Tai Kern,Lahu and Akha.I used to stop at one village and surveyed on that village.The people was so nice and kind. Some house owner treated as special guest and offered us a good tea or stuffs. It 's a custom for them.
- Pros:Very simply and lovely
- In a nutshell:I love it !!!
This temple was built by the coorperation of 4 countries,there 're : Thailand,Burma,Laos and China.In the temple... more travel advice
This lake use as resevoir for army and villagers on Lwe Mwe.I visited there on a cloudy and rainy day,so the scenery was... more travel advice
pattayaraj's Related Pages
Kengtung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kengtung~my trip on a cloudy and rainy time"
- "In the Golden Triangle"
- "Buddhist, Simple and almost Thai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kengtung
- Hotels in Kengtung
- Transportation in Kengtung
- Nightlife in Kengtung
- Restaurants in Kengtung
- Shopping in Kengtung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kengtung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kengtung
- 17 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Kengtung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kengtung
- Posted in Travel Kuala Lumpur Forum "Re: Hotel recommendation - KL..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Funny park around the lake of Lwe Mwe"
- Wrote a Review Satu-ratha-sumingala temple on Lwe Mwe in Kengtung Things to Do
- updated a Kengtung Travel Page "Kengtung~my trip on a cloudy and rainy time"
- Commented on one of kenmerk's Kengtung travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 64 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 52 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nakhon Ratchasima Intro, 41 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayuthaya Intro, 47 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phetchaburi Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khon Kaen Intro, 32 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 17 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue