":: Ilha Grande ::" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande by perfectly_zen
Ilha Grande Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 206 photos
It´s intriguing how this place, so close to the luxurious, agitated Angra dos Reis, so near the petrol platforms, could stay untouched from the croud and the noise....all that makes this island really special, misterious...
The main reason for the "seclusion" of this island was the presidium, that inhibited tourism for many years...till it was definately closed.
When I went there I wasn´t expecting much...I had heard some good stories about the place, but they didn´t convince me...when you arrive in the city of Angra and take the boat to Ilha Grande, going through the dirty harbour, to mansions and platforms, you don´t feel excited at all. But it takes only an hour and a half to reach another world....a small village, hidden between the mountains, with cristal clear waters.....incredible... =)
It´s also very interesting to learn that while many brazilians know so little about this place, it´s constantly full of foreign tourists, from all parts of the globe........
Ilha Grande (=Big Island) is the biggest in Angra dos Reis, located very near the city of Angra, aprox. 1h30min on boat. You can also go to Ilha Grande from Rio and it takes the same time...
The island is huuuuge, consists of many hills and mountains and in every little corner there´s an empty beach..small, large, white sand, yellow sand, blue, green waters, with or without ruins, there´s definately a beach for your taste....many of them have access only on foot or on sailing boat, since the border facing the open ocean has restricted access because of the strong tide....
If you like trekking, being close to nature, diving, that place is the perfect one for you.
- Pros:Great beaches, good spot for diving or just for a swim....
- Cons:Don´t forget your insect repelent!! =(
- In a nutshell:A must see if you are coming to Rio
This is the cheapest type of transportation around the island =) If you don´t expect to pay a buch of money to spend all... more travel advice
Itaguaçu is one of the best beaches in Ilha Grande, in my opinion....located 15 minutes from Praia Vermelha on trail,... more travel advice
perfectly_zen's Related Pages
Ilha Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A VERY POLEMIC PLACE"
- "The Beautiful Big Island: Ilha Grande"
- ":: Ilha Grande ::"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "AN ISLAND THAT WE FEEL IT IS OUR HOME"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "Ilha Grande - Paradise Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha Grande
- Hotels in Ilha Grande
- Transportation in Ilha Grande
- Nightlife in Ilha Grande
- Restaurants in Ilha Grande
- Shopping in Ilha Grande
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha Grande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha Grande
- 26 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Ilha Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha Grande
Photos in Ilha GrandeSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 52 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Carlos de Bariloche Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Calafate Intro, 19 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Natales Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angra dos Reis Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Isla El Gran Roque Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos